When the world around you drops dead (almost)

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by FlugelFlyer, Oct 15, 2005.

1. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Strange times. A favorite professor died of a brain aneurism this past weekend at 68. Now, I find out that a girl I went to high school was recently gunned down. Didn't know her too well, but my friend dated her at one time. Nonetheless, it's an eerily strange feeling when people you know or knew seemingly drop dead around you all at once. Not a saddening feeling as much as a sickening feeling where you feel like you're in a video game and you don't know who or what's going to be next. As I'm somewhat spooked, I have a few people I'm praying for, but I'm hoping death's cloud doesn't hit any closer.

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    And, as you get older, this situation you describe will become more, not less, commonplace and familiar. I have experienced it often.

3. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey FlugelFlyer

Sorry to hear about your professor :-( If its any help I know how you feel because I've lost about 4 people that I've cared about.

I hate to agree with DaveH but he's right. As you get older like us, this situation will become more commonplace, its life. Just be happy that your professor made it to nearly 70 which is old. Mine died a horrible death of ovarian cancer at the age of 47 which is sad :-(

And your friend being gunned down thats a downright shame. I guess thats why people say that life can suck big time. Keep your chin up!

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

4. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    FF,

Man, I"m sorry to hear about that!

Death is something that happens and is part of life. You kinda have to live with it....as much as it really sucks.
    Try to focus on the positive, and don't let it get you down! You still have your life to live, and that's what you need to do.

I'll keep you in my prayers. I've lost too many people close to me to know what you're going through. It's pretty scary to tell the truth.

*hugs*

Lara :grouphug:

5. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Thanks for the thoughts, folks, but I definately don't need pity. What worries me is that this seemed like strikes one and two, if strike three truly hit close, would I need pity for the first time in over ten years? That's what worries me. I learned long ago not to take anything for granted (not going to rehash the story of my life). This is one of those scenarios where I want to tell those close to me to run like you never ran before. It's a case of how do I do it, or am I just paranoid?

It's not the losses that startled me (losses happen, this is Earth), it's the ambiguity in how they occured that startled me. One of those times where I feel like anyone who touches me is killed upon touch. Oh well, guess I just have to keep driving down the highway and hope everybody else keeps up.

I'm thankful though that at least through years of getting my @$$ kicked by life, I can take an inhuman load of internal punishment and not fall down, yet I know more punishment can easily be dished. That's what's freakish.

6. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    That reminds me of my middle school +ninth grade years....

In sixth grade, one of the secretaries in the office died in a car wreck...she was hit by a drunk driver. In seventh grade, an eighth grade teacher died of Breast Cancer and my grandma died. In eighth grade, my dance teacher was diagnosed with breast cancer. In ninth grade, one of the kids I went to middle school with died in a freak accident, and my dance teacher died of breast cancer.

I have to say that the hardest of all of that was when my friend Meghan died. She was a year younger than I was and it all seemed unreal. Then, when my dance teacher died, I kinda freaked out...it was like you said, all these people I had known or ever given a hug to were dropping like flies.

Lara

7. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Couple days later, I realize it's nothing extroardinarily new compared to what I'm used to. I'm under quite a bit of stress as of late, but that's human. However, as I've said, it does make you realize what you take for granted in life.

That said, I've recorded a new song at http://www.myspace.com/phantomfrequency called Ambiguity, from the migranes and insomnia I suffer, to the losses others feel. Wouldn't recommend turning the volume up to 10 on your speakers, but let me know if I manage to communicate something through it.

8. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Well, back in high school, during church on Sunday, there was a prayer request to pray for the families of two killed students and one severely injured student from my high school.

The worst part was that I the [idiotic] individual who said that didn't say last names or anything; so I had no idea if it was my friends, girl I had a crush on, someone I didn't know, &c.. Needless to say, I didn't pay attention AT ALL to the sermon.

Went home and googled the names of everyone I knew. Nothing significant popped up, so I decided it was people I didn't know. Founf out the next day I was right.

Feeling relieved that those killed were "just" people I didn't know (they were friends of friends though), may be an awful feeling, but how could I not feel it?

--Aaron

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ya know, FF, if we constantly spend our lives running or dodging, we'll never see or feel anything...we'd be too busy running.

Each and every day is a gift...it may be the last. We don't know. So you must breathe every breath and speak every word as if it will be your last. It might.

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately.

My aunt that lived right down the street from me passed away last spring, a college buddy this summer, and a mentor passed away a month ago. And I just got a call a few hours ago informing me that another aunt is finally gone due to the cancer she has been fighting for the past year.

I wish I had some answers for all of us, but I do not. See you guys in a few days.