When to retire

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blower, Jun 4, 2011.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Like Ed Lee, I am 75 now and the weight of time is causing me to have severe mobility problems. I just now got home from playing a concert with a prestigeous concert band at a monster annual festival of the arts here in Grand Rapids. I have decided to drop out of three of the bands that I have played with this last few years and play with just one of them. I have no playing problems at this point in time, just the problem of getting arround.

If you are not having any ambulatory problems and you are enjoying the making of music, I can not visualise any reason to curtail your musical endeavors. The advice to step down to second or third part is very valid. The company of fellow band members is, in my opinion, a treasure without price.

OLDLOU>>

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Aging sucks. 67 here. And we do start to lose certain things. But regarding the OP, what immediately came to mind was a comment in an interview with a superb French horn player who said that for most players of advancing age, the problem wasn't losing their control, it was loosing their confidence. And once that starts going, so does the accuracy and control and other technical facets of playing that can be effected by the psyche.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I've still no restrictions in driving a personal vehicle, I'm seriously considering getting a Rascal electric just to get around here in Jackson as lays in near level land. Yes, my ability to walk is rapidly declining. Ha! In my mind I've already the image of such retrofitted with a music stand.

The companionship of fellow bandsmen - bandswomen too, is a priceless asset, and that is inclusive of those here on TrumpetMaster. I'll reiterate that I'm willing to play any chair, or any of my instruments, as needed in a community band and is within my ability at the time. Still, we've got to get the community band organized here in the Roanoke Valley before any of us actually commit to such.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Being youthful and naive can suck just as much, perhaps more. I enjoy aging, and to this point am fortunate to maintain good habits that my trumpet playing ability progresses, but the time for me to retire will be when playing the horn no longer gives me pleasure. Even when the point comes that I start on a decline in my ability to play, I still plan on continuing until the point where the trumpet no longer gives me pleasure. At that point, I will retire.

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I think what everybody is trying to say to you is, in respone to your question, is the time to quit is when you're dead.:play:

6. joejarrett

joejarrett New Friend

Apr 3, 2011
    Blower, I can idenify with you in a lot of ways. I started playing in bands in high school & continued until my mid 50s. Laid off until around 62 & had a chance to play in another band. Didn't do enough practicing before the first gig and messed up my chops the first nite. OK, 5 months ago started practicing again in preparation for a jam session, practiced around the house for 3 months, still had the "split tone" to a degree but thinking I was ready went to the session & terribly disapointed. A lot different playing in a group "real time" than at home. OK, after 2 more months of trying to build up the chops & advice from gmonady & other guys on this forum, I am going to another session in a couple of weeks. This time I believe I am ready, still have some of the "split tone" but the chops are stronger & my execution is as good as ever, for whatever that is worth. If I can "cut it" up to my expections in this upcoming session, this guy is going to keep on playing! Oh, by the way I am 83!

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I agree:thumbsup: Several of my bandmates over the years have passed on, but they continued to play as long as possible. My late father was one of those also.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I think a chat with your doctor could also be a good idea. Lots of things change as we age and your nerves could be a signal.

I 2nd the lessons idea. I am 64, and have two teachers. I get lots of stimulation that way and it helps keep my practicing focused. Erosion of confidence can be a problem, as it can affect your playing which in turn will cause further erosion, and so forth. A teacher can help you with that too.

Finally the tone of your post, counter to your claim, sounds a bit depressed. After years and years of playing, nothing will be lost if you take a little break and focus on other interests. Make sure you are getting enough exercise and fresh air and sleep. Take a moment to look inside and see if something else may be bothering you which you are unaware of or may be suppressing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I’m 56, I’ve played lead all my life, in Big Bands, Rock Bands, Funk / R & B Bands, Salsa bands, Wind Ensembles, Musicals…..etc. It’s what I do on trumpet. I feel that I may have 10 to 12 years left that I can stay healthy enough to play lead and still add to the overall sound. It takes a LOT of thought, energy and stamina to do for 4 hours at a time. When that goes away, I don’t think I will be happy playing 2nd or lower. So that is when I will lay it down for good. I know it will drive me crazy to have to give it up, but it will drive me crazy to try to play lead and NOT do it justice. When that day comes I think I'll just start drinking heavily :cool:

10. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I play in a community band that has two trumpeters in their mid 90s, two in their late 70's; a euphonium player in his mid 90's and a two tenor sax players in their 90's. Although they are not playing anywhere near the levels they were at, they are all sharp, involved people. I think the connection that playing gives you with other people and the continuing challenge musicianship brings is a true quality of life extender.