When to retire

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blower, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I should also have mentionned that the oldest guy in the section just finished a mouthpiece safari and is making me nuts! Apparenly Monette makes a great piece.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah -- then he is going to go buy a real horn (A KING TRUMPET), to get a few more years out of himself -- - then he is going to go buy an Asymmetric mpc -- to help support his lower lip -- and still play on a few more years --ROFL that is if the hypoxia doesn't get so bad --that he can't remember all of the excellent advice I have been giving himROFLgmonady -- your a good sport (not in a mutative way) - but just a good guy, ROFL

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And seemingly Monette mpcs don't work well on all trumpets, but I'd bet they're great on a Monette trumpet. That is the reason I sold a B6. Note that while I'm now 75 and recovering my capability to play, my ears still can still hear without the need for aids.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. blower

blower New Friend

Aug 15, 2007
    Peterborough England
    Thank you all for your comments, one point I must make is that many of you say 'keep going if you're enjoying yourself', actually when I make a mess of a performance I really don't enjoy it. As I said this has happened 4 or 5 times and each time I have tried to prepare thoroughly and make sure I'm very familiar with the piece but my nerves seem to prevent me from playing at all well, my natural vibrato gets exagerated and begins to sound like a nanny goat. I still however enjoy playing for myself and will continue to do so.
    I live in the UK and from your posts the USA seems to have a much healthier musical climate, I don't think comunity bands exist here. We of course have Brass Bands but these are relatively rare now at least in my area. I personally know only 1 or 2 people who are interested in Jazz and oportunities for seeing it live are infrequent, in short music here is for guitar and drums predominantly.
    I agree that lessons could do no harm and I will look into it.
    Many of you were dismissive of the retirement idea and I agree it must be avoided if at all possible but consider this: a fine piannist wakes up one morning to find he can only play with one finger - would that be good enough?

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Why not start a Brass Band?

I'm sure that there is a lot of "retired" brass banders lurking around
    in your area, even if the old bands have been closed down.

I conduct a oldtimers Brass band here in Norway. Fun stuff!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! let's see -- if you are really going to RETIRE -- then you don't need a 2nd opinion --QUIT TODAY!!!

BUT REST ASSURED if you quit before your mind and body are in agreement -- YOU WILL REGRET THAT DECISION UNTIL THE DAY YOU PASS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all suggest you keep on until you KNOW it's time --we aren't dismissing retirement -- at least not me ---

BUT UNTIL YOU DECIDE -- find out what you can pass on to the younger generation.
    NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN JAZZ AND BRASS BANDS???
    then mister you had better figure out how to change that -- where you live right now. Pass on what you know, and how you came to know it, what motivated you to play a trumpet --- is what will motivate some 10 year old -- who doesn't know anyone who ever played --- and YOU MR. just might be the inspiration for that child -- or even an older adult

NOW you got me going on a big sermon -- and I had better end with this thought
    INSPIRE AND NEVER RETIRE

ken

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow kingtrumpet, maybe you do have a pulse and respirations, (but so you're back to owing me for my initial medical consult fee).

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just as soon as I can get Conntribution to trade me his Conn Vic -- I will let you try that out - for a measly $5 fee -- and then we will be even up.ROFL

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, if you INSPIRE you can't retire. That would be a "cop out" aka a FAILURE!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes Ed you are quite correct -- but I was just getting a little over compassionate about the OP's situation -- and I was trying to inspire so technically the OP would never retire.