When to stop?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trpguyy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I've got some big auditions coming up, and I'm worried mainly about one thing that has hurt me before - "too much" warming up.

How long before playing a gig do you warm up, and when do you know to stop? Also, since I'm playing the Haydn, I have to play a high Eb. Do I go for the Eb in my warmup, or just trust that I'll have it? Last question, I promise...how much playing the day beforehand? Do I make it a regular practice day, or should I just do basic exercises?

Thank you so much, Manny. Your advice is invaluable.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "How long before playing a gig do you warm up, and when do you know to stop? Also, since I'm playing the Haydn, I have to play a high Eb. Do I go for the Eb in my warmup, or just trust that I'll have it? Last question, I promise...how much playing the day beforehand? Do I make it a regular practice day, or should I just do basic exercises?"

dear Trpguy,

I would like to help but I'm a bit worried about all the things you are concerned about. You should have a better grasp of your endurance and upper register. That is, a man should know his limitations. If one were to play the Haydn Concerto, one would need to have established the Eb as a part of one's range. The high Eb should not the uppermost note on your range. Rather, you should be able to play an F or G with reasonable certainty. Would you rather have someone perform their first surgery on your child or would you like to have it be someone that's done it, say, twenty times before?

When do I stop in my warm up? Before get tired and with plenty of time before the gig begins. I should be ready to go half an hour before then I like to relax with my colleagues. That's part of my preparation, as well: hanging with my friends and achieving a good, positive state of mind.

I would do a light, but solid warm up the day before and run through everthing I have to play and then put it away. Oh, and I wouldn't do it the night before, either. Rather, I'd do it in the morning or early afternoon, given a choice.

It sounds like you're playing it on the Bb. Good. That's the way we ALL should learn it. Save the Eb for later on in life. I didn't own an Eb until I was a senior at Juilliard. Learn the Vivaldi double on C trumpet. Learn the Neruda on Bb. Play the big horns, folks! They keep one humble.

ML

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    One more thing:

Why do invaluable and valuable mean the same thing?

Why do inflammable and flammable mean the same thing?

Scratching my head,

ML

4. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I guess I should have been more clear. I have a solid G, can play it solidly any day no problem. So I'm not worried about being able to play the Eb, it's should I be playing it in my warmup...because let's face it, playing high notes does effect your chops. I'm just worried about doing something stupid.

Thanks for your flammable advice. ;-)

5. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    well the "in" prefix means not, so i figure in the cases of inflammable and invaluable you're saying that its beyond value or flammability, it'll never be on fire it'll just explode, and its way to valuable to put a price on, not sure if this is technically correct but it kinda makes sense