When to stop

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    I have a big habbit of continuing to play even though playing is feeling uncomfortsble. when should I stop playing? Should I stop as soon as playing becomes uncomfortable? There isnt any pain... just discomfort.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes. You should stop and take a break. This isn't rocket science and it should be well known that resting as a part of practice is just as important as the playing.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Dreads sez:
    when should I stop playing?
    --------
    When sleep gets in the way.

4. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    I do rest whilst I'm playing, what I mean is after I have been playing for an hour, resting as much as I play, when do I know when to stop? Is it dangerous if I resume to play beyond comfort?

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes, you want to build muscle not tear it down.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Seriously, stop when it hurts. Nothing good comes from playing beyond that.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you start to use pressure,then it's time to stop before bad habits creep in.

8. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Question is:
    How long a time are you playing before you feel tired?
    This IS important otherwise any info given is just subjective.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Without being there to watch, it is really difficult to say. I agree with the others that say stop if you feel pain. When it's raining, I can't work so I will sometimes play for hours, BUT I never play if I feel pain. Discomfort is too ambiguous a term to give you a good solid answer. One man's discomfort is another man's pain.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have this habit that I take a pee at 6:30 every morning. The problem is I get out of bed at 7.

Come on, If you have no will power or common sense, what can we do to help?

The rule of thumb for any physical activity is MODERATION. Build your chops slowly and methodically. Work your practice time up over time. Build a stable base and your body telly you what is good. There are some days where you have no choice - rehearsal and concert on the same day, playing after you have been sick, etc. Those days will require us to play long after common sense says stop. The days afterwards will be tough after beating our faces up. We simply get back into our routine and build up more chops for the next time.

Trumpet players that don't stop when they should usually become VERY annoying to the rest of the band..........