When to use a Cornet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by waylon101, Dec 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. waylon101

waylon101 New Friend

Jul 9, 2012
    Illinois
    Hey, I'm a high school student and am playing on a Blessing Trumpet. Recently I got a Conn Cornet for my Birthday and have been playing with it. I really hear the deference a in sound I was just wonder in which styles and situations should I switch from trumpet to Cornet.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    In general, I play cornet when the part is marked "Cornet" at the top. Since everyone else in the section is probably playing trumpets, playing a cornet in high school band is probably a waste of time and may not please your director. It might be a nice solo instrument to use if you get the chance, though.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, waylon101!

Dale stated it perfectly. You might like to play some of the solos written for cornet. Fun that way, and you might be able to wow some judges at contests.

4. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    There's no wrong time to play a cornet. :cool:

5. waylon101

waylon101 New Friend

Jul 9, 2012
    Illinois
    What about in Jazz? Is that only personal Preference?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cornet is the weapon of choice for Dixieland bands.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    It's personal preference if you're meaning in a combo context. For big band, use trumpet.

If you want to hear how the cornet is used in a more modern context than in early jazz style, check out Ruby Braff, Nat Adderley, Bobby Hackett, Olu Dara, and Freddie Hubbard on "Empyrean Isles".

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Generally, the cornet is in place in any symphonic setting where you are playing French music of the 19th century. Most of the trumpet parts were written ata time when there were no valve trumpets available - just cornets. Then, of course, there are British-style brass bands (which don't acknowledge the existence of something called the trumpet). There's Dixieland, of course; and there are some Big Band solos that cry out for the cornet (if you don't have a Flugelhorn around). Generally, the cornet will throw its weight best in a lyrical, mid-range solo. "Girl of Ipanema" comes to mind - starting with Flugels, and then doing the solo on cornet, going on to a sizzling trumpet finish. "Moon River" works great on cornet - but there are many pieces around that cry out for cornet. Just get to know <our cornet, and let it sing, and the right pieces will suggest themselves to you.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I was answering in the context of high school band playing. In a small group or combo, you can play cornet on whatever genre of music you please. I've played cornet in brass quintet, solos with variations, German band, British-style brass band, Civil War band, church orchestra, big band (solos, polkas, etc.), concert bands, and tonight, at a Salvation Army kettle. When I have the choice (and it fits the music), I generally play cornet.

10. waylon101

waylon101 New Friend

Jul 9, 2012
    Illinois
    Thanks! :lol: