When you can't practice??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Thommo, Jun 22, 2007.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is always a case of priorities.
    If you have steady playing gigs, you HAVE to find time to play.
    I bought a pocket trumpet for 200 Euros and that and my silent brass go EVERYWHERE that I can't take my big trumpets.
    I have always found time. Contractors are just not understanding when it comes to inconsistency. There are enough (too many) other good players out there!!!

2. Thommo

Thommo New Friend

May 24, 2007
    Tasmania
    Well, the concert went well, but chops didn't feel as good they should have.
    All the free buzzing had me feeling strong, but the control just wasn't as it should have been.

I think you are on the money rowuk. There is no substite for real practice so I'll carry a spare horn and my Bremner SHH mute and do what I can when I can.
    Having said that, I still have a lot of wasted time driving and so on, so I'll try buzzing with the mp in future.
    Free buzzing doesn't seem to be working for me ... or as others have suggested... I'm over doing it.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thommo,
    free buzzing is like lifting weights if you are a swimmer. If you have a professional routine (worked out by someone else who made all of the mistakes instead of using YOU as the guinea pig), it can probably augment the rest. The chances of getting it right by luck are not too good. Even the mouthpiece alone can stiffen your chops up.
    In the car, I switched a bunch of years ago to an 8 foot (the length of a natural trumpet in C) piece of garden hose with a spare bell on the end and put a bunch of c major baroque stuff on CD - That gives me something much closer to real life! That way I do not drool all over my hand!

Robin

4. midwestchops

midwestchops Pianissimo User

i have to say, i have 2 little girls in "summer" programs and working etc. and i understand trying to find time to practice. i do a lot of "free buzzing" in the car (i spend a lot of time in the car) and mp buzzing also. i started free buzzing when i started my "comeback" last summer and i was trying to get in shape on my own before auditions etc. and watched michael mossman on the yamaha artist videos Yamaha Artist Model Series

i will have to try the tubing thing. i never thought of that! pocket trumpet is a good idea too!

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I try to get in even 1/2 hour 40 minutes touching the basics if nothing else. The Vizzutti books do a really nice job with this.

Has anyone out there tried the Jo-Ral "Short-Cut" ? Impressions