When you know you don't know

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zebra, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Zebra

Zebra Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2014
    I am a beginning trumpet player. I am 48 years old and it has been 35 years since I was the fourth chair in the Jr. High band. I want music in my life in part so that I can participate with my children, who to my amazement, have become wonderful young Viola players, but I must admit in a larger context just for me. I am under no illusions about my abilities, with the goal as I start out to learn the right way, to add small layers through daily hard work and to take it as it comes in regards to those two foundations. Twelve years ago I took up Wet Plate Collodion Glass Plate photography from the 1800's and that remains an incredible creative outlet for me, one in which I now, after a decade of learning, teach consistently. I reference that only to state I am aware and capable of long term learning curves. I am beginning the trumpet from a committed point of view, and realize it is a difficult endeavor. I reside in a smaller community with a limited access to trumpet teachers--both that I have found are recent college grads who teach trumpet along with several other instruments. I have read through numerous threads about embouchure and the need to 'get it right' from the beginning so that your chops are not taken down a path that is difficult to retrain. So a few questions:

1) When you know you don't know are there a small series of questions you can ask of potential instructors that will lead you to understanding that they have the fundamentals down enough to pass them along to you so that you are trained properly from the beginning?

2) I read Rowuk's strong belief that in person tutelage is much preferred, a sentiment that I agree wholeheartedly with--unfortunately Rowuk I can't move to Germany! which of course leads us back up to question #1. That being said if dedicated trumpet teachers in my community are difficult to secure would on line training (Skype) from a well established dedicated trumpet teacher be preferable?

3) I travel throughout the U.S. extensively for work into most major markets so would getting in person instruction from someone well established as a teacher, followed up with weekly on line instruction from the same instructor be a viable path in between my visits?

Enough for now I suppose. Thank you in advance as I navigate this cocktail of excitement and trepidation,

Zebra

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    If you are near Syracuse, New York, look me up.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You CAN do it , Zebra! I came back at 59. Still playing today, 8 years later. You are wise to seek a teacher and if you let us know where you are we may be able to offer suggestions.

SKYPE works, but in-person help at your stage is invaluable.

4. Zebra

Zebra Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2014
    I am in Asheville, North Carolina.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Welcome aboard, Zebra! I can't offer advice on where to find an instructor, but it sounds like you're taking the right approach. Glad to see you did your homework before posting.

Good luck!

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    The advantage with Skype and FaceTime is that you can get a top tutor rather than just someone nearby, who may only be average.

7. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I believe Jeff Purtle is in Ashville.

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I believe that Rich Willey, a serious Reinhart devotee, is in that area.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Methinks you aren't diligent in seeking a teacher/tutor in Asheville NC with Ben Hovey and Sam Irvin at the Asheville Music School, and also contact with the fine Asheville Symphony Orchestra.

10. Zebra

Zebra Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks Ed. I'll most certainly look those men up. I hadn't come across those names yet but I most certainly will and with all the names that have been given already I think your right--I hadn't put in enough search time. I appreciate the direction to those folks.

Zebra