When you know you don't know

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zebra, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Part of me wishes I were in Asheville instead of Jackson in Northampton County approximately 200 miles away to the East bordering VA with a census population of only 600 albeit a county seat. Very scenic out your way. Hardly so here but it is my wife's home town and we now live in what was her family home.

Although I mention the tutor/teachers at the Music School, I have no personal knowledge or acquaintance with them or can confirm they are still there. Too, I don't know what music program (if any) the University of North Carolina at Asheville (UNCA) has to offer. Every once in a while I hear the ASO on classic radio. However, like all orchestras specific musicians come and go.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Zebra,

I was quite impressed with your first post. So much thought is rather unusual in a beginning/comeback player. You should change your nickname to "Socrates" - the guy who first coined the phrase "I know that I know nothing."

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Zebra,
    Welcome to TM. You are on the right path, and asking the right questions. As you already know, there are many Comebackers here on TM. I came back at 50, and the best thing I did was to join a Community band as soon as I could. I found my teacher there, and still have Friday Night lessons. I now play in the Community Concert band, a Big Band, and a Light Orchestra. Keep music in your life, and play along with those Violas.

Along with your thinking consider "You don't know what you don't know until someone tells you!" Hence the need for a good teacher at the start of the journey.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I agree. He's put some real thought into his first post.I'm a veteran of three comebacks myself. Still working on getting up to speed. I'm currently playing with my wife's alumni band, a new start up concert group, did some work with a small dance/show band, and am a member of Bugles Across America. And, there's always N+1:lol::oops:

5. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Zebra, if you could learn wet plate, you can definitely handle trumpet. You know everyone in the community supports you. You'll do great.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! Best wishes in finding a good teacher.
    Jim

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    finding a teacher is great advice... but what you gotta do is practice everyday. You had 35yrs off. You don't need any more.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Zebra!

You were fortunate to have played trumpet in your youth. Like any language, the older we are when we start the more difficulties we encounter. Note names, rhythms and fingerings will come back very quickly; endurance and range very slowly.

You are fortunate to be an adult. Take a scientific approach to playing (and not merely rush ahead to the next level, like a video gamers).

I would start out by getting any band method and start with lesson one. Read all the instructions and play, a critical yet forgiving listener. I would suggest playing each of the lessons for at least a week (six days on, one day off, to allow for recovery). Play the lesson through at least three times; and if you find it easy, then slow down the tempo. The idea is to start building endurance from the start. Of course try to play each number as perfectly as possible, but don't beat yourself up over a bad note.

Hope this helps!

9. Zebra

Zebra Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2014
    Wanted to take the time to say thanks to all of the great leads everyone put forth in regards to the Asheville area. I contacted Jeff Purtle who is in Greenville, South Carolina which is about an hour and ten minutes from me and have my first lesson set up for the 18th of September. I fly out of Greenville's airport quite a bit so in person lessons, if not weekly will be regular, along with some internet time as well for the times I am away from home. Looking forward to the growth a quality instructor is sure to provide. Won't feel like I'm bumping into so many walls in this dark room I'm currently in!

Thanks all,

Zebra