When you only have 30 minutes to practice..what are your go to exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 22, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was wondering what everyone else does when you are limited and just have to get in some time on the horn.
    I do diatonic arpeggios down to pedal C, then some diatonic scales and slurs .. the Arban tonguing interval exercises (the one everyone does)
    The 16th note tonguing exercises.. diatonic again up to high C
    Lip slurs starting below the staff and moving systematically up to G
    Range exercises .. argeggios
    Cool down to pedals
    it probably is more than 30 minutes but that's the jist

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    30 Minutes? , I would make time! :-)

If I I was given only 30 minutes I would play music!!:play:

Not sure if your question is geared for you specificaly or just curiousity:dontknow:

Good Luck:D

3. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    You could either condense your whole practice time down and spend less time on your exercises, or probably better to pick a couple of exercises / songs that you want to focus on and focus on those during the time you have. So maybe you do some slurs, etc for 5 - 10 minute warmup / exercise and maybe the next 20 minutes working on songs. I say warmups/exercises because some of the exercises you do may be good ways to warm up as well.

Or if you know for sure that you can only dedicate 30 minutes a day figure out how many exercises you can work on during that time and break it out for the week.

I think it is too generic to say, "What are the go-to exercises?" to do during a 30 minute practice period because practice sessions should be based on working on ones' individual goals and my goals are going to be different than you and different from the next person.

4. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    Whatever section I am working on in Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach. Or ... I will review some Clarke Technical Studies.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If I have only 30 minutes and don't have to play later in the day, I blow through the most difficult (in regards to dynamcs and upper range) stuff I can find...trumpet/cornet solos, marches, etc., with no breaks, other than to turn the pages. It's more of a musical endurance exercise than a work session on technique.

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    kctrumpeteer said it best. Miniaturize what has been working for you.

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Since I'm a Caruso user - I'd do Six Notes and then MUSIC (probably etudes...)

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    To be honest, I rarely have 30 minutes to practice. I do a few scales, warm up. Read a few written jazz tunes. Then will spend about 10 minutes on technical exercises. Then, play whatever I want until I quit.

Keep in mind that trumpet is now a hobby I do for FUN at this point in my life. I have a 10-12 hour a day high stress job, son, wife, dog, home to upkeep, 1/2 acre to mow etc. 40 years ago I was playing 3-4 hours a day, every day! In fact for 10 years there was NEVER a day I didn't play. Done my dues. Not getting any better. It is for pure enjoyment!

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @ Dale .. that's how I have been treating it.. trying to build endurance by resting very little..
    @Steve .. I am a little further up there in years than you and did pretty much the same thing hours a day when I was playing .. but since it's been so many years off the instrument it's frustrating trying to condense down the routines occasionally.
    @bagmangood.... doesn't the Caruso routine just make your lips tight?
    @R___M___ ...CG Technical Studies.. need to pick up that book again ..thx
    @kc ... agreed
    Arban pg 125 was the interval exercise I was refering to.
    thanks guys

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Not that I've ever noticed...