When you only have 30 minutes to practice..what are your go to exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 22, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    10 minutes longtones and slurs, 10 minutes tunes, 10 minutes technical studies with articulation and scales.

30 minutes is fine for very average - but much better than many that post here!

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I would do long tones for 20 minutes at least - then multiple tonguing on all the scales for the other 10----------then I would try to look at time management to find 2 1/2 more hours, but hey that is just me!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yes 3 hours is what it takes to really play this instrument... for me.. at the level that I need to feel like I know how to play .. which is one of the reasons I stopped playing.. it was frustrating watching my chops deterioate.
    I have heard conflicting (what a surprize) info on the benefits of long tones.. it seems like it should be great but I have had very good instructors tell me that the time is better spent on other studies?
    thoughts?
    thx Rowak ... I know you get my drift...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know who questions long tones. I know of no better way to get in tune with yourself - relaxed, patient, concentrated as well as just getting the face juices flowing. All of my students do them and I have too - for over 40 years. I would NEVER devote less than 1/3rd of my total practice time to TUNES. Music is why most of us play. Technical studies do not teach us MUSIC. They improve mechanics which if we are musical, gives us additional tools.

TUNES are always the focal point of my teaching.

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. If you are looking for ideas I strongly recommend Don E. Johnsons' book "A Comprehensive Practice Routine for the Aspiring Brass Player". He has specific exercises and recommendations for how to split your practice routine to cover the essentials. It was based out of necessitiy as most of his students would go home to work over the summer and lose valuable ground. His abbreviate routine takes only 40 minutes. But, you have to purchase to book to really understand how it works.

As for myself I would do an abbrevaited version of his abbreviated program.

-Warm A
    -Low G extensions
    -Long Tones
    -Harmonic slurs
    -Lip Flexibility

BrotherBACH

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Eric Bolvin's Tongue Level and Air lessons can be done in 20 minutes. Highly recommended.

7. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    I do about a minute of buzzing(im surprised nobody mentioned buzzing). Then I do some quick long tones usually chicowitz. I follow that up with some scale exercises from clarke or somthing of that nature. Then I may do some tounging or go straight into music.

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    I like Robin's approach. It works, but of course, that leaves no time for wood shedding :)

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    lots of great ideas and books to check out...
    thx

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Long tones first on the flugel horn. Change to the trumpet and run modal scales through all the keys, then finally end with a neat whole step scale (all half steps from traditional scales eliminated) that I received from a local music educator in the area.