When you only have 30 minutes to practice..what are your go to exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 22, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @gmonady .. whole steps are great.. I use alot of them to get the breathing and tongue working...
    don't have a flugel anymore.. it's on my wish list

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Currently my main focus is improving my tone, if I only have 30 min available I start on 3rd space C and descend by semitones to low F#, playing each note for 30 secs and resting 30 secs, this takes 19 1/2 minutes, then starting on low F# play all major scales up and down 2 octaves to second line G. this takes approx 9 minutes. This gives me a pretty good workout. If I have more time I rest ten minutes and then another 1/2 hour on big band charts and orchestral excerpts on french horn. Every couple of days I try to get some time on other horns, C, D and Eb.

Regards, Stuart.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @stumac... do you bend the notes down a quarter tone or up?

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    No bending, just a soft breath start with minimal pressure and chop tension, allowing the horn to resonate at its natural frequency where it has the richest sound. I do not use a tuner with the long tones as I feel it forces me to play off the natural pitch. I try to use my ears for intonation when playing in a group.

Bending up and down can be useful in finding the note center but I prefer to let the horn tell me where it is. Which brings a conundrum I am wrestling with at the moment, is it the buzzing of the lips that generates the standing wave in the horn or is what we feel on the lips the reaction to the standing wave generated by eddy currents in the mouthpiece.

Regards, Stuart.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @stumac.. someone here posted soemthing about buzzing a note and then putting the mouthpiece on the lips while buzzing and it being the same note.... it created some discussion... but the guy said it could be done.. is that what you are dealing with?
    did I just hyjack my own thread?

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that's because some of us can't buzz -- but we can still play -- I can't buzz with my lips only and no mpc -- some people would say I can't play -- I can do pedal tones, and high tones, and most things in between, BUT buzzing with just lips and no mpc frustrates me -- so I don't do it.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    update,,
    -picked up the Characteristic Studies book ... forgot how good it is .. the exercises are written like pieces of music so that helps with the "play music" concept too..
    - on buzzing .. the one buzzing w/o mpc .. starting low and then sliding up, trying not to have any dead spots ...
    All these ideas are really helpful in my normal practice routine.. so thanks again

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  8. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a very good friend (trombone player, don't hold that against me :-P), he told me once when he was traveling with the GMO that he ran across a fantastic sax player, he asked him what he practiced and was surprised when the sax player said all he practiced was scales. I have tried to incorporate this in my practice time and am surprised that it seems to be helping me, especially in the realm of trying to learn to improv. I was never good at improv and didn't know when I was in school that it could be learned (I always thought it was just built in, I know this is probably the case with the really good ad libbers) but I have been working on it and slowly am improving.

Ray Z :play:

9. mf-horn-3

mf-horn-3 New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    A few Clarke exercises - slurred and tongued at ppp. A Concone or two. A couple tunes from the Real Book. A few chromatic scales from low F# to high F#. Arpeggios up to high C, then D, then E, then F, then G. Flight of the Bumblebee at ppp. Then pack it up.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    thx for posting mf-horn-3 .. welcome to the crew