When you only have 30 minutes to practice..what are your go to exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 22, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have to say these are some really great ideas. I am going to try to add them to my regular routine as well or mix them up when I feel the need to change the routine. It does make me more aware of deciding what my goal is on the days where I have limited time.
    The freeway comments gave me an idea and I tried it on the way to work tonight. I work on deep breathing and breath control. It also seems to make the commute around the psychos easier to handle.
    Since playing songs" seemed to come up I went out and picked up a "music minus one" style of songbook. Probabably high school arrangements of pieces but tat is all I should probably try since I haven't even been playing for 2 months after the multi-decade layoff.
    And thank you tpsiebs for the Caruso explaination... what you said about thinking they were isometric exercise is exactly what I wrongly thought.

2. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    If on rare occassion I only had 30 minutes, I would do this:

Frank Minear Routine
    A daily trumpet routine for Jazz and lead trumpet players.

Normally of course, you want more time to practice other music, etc but if you have lots of gigs and rehearsals, doing this routine can set you up great everyday.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay here is an update..
    I buzz on the way into work ... this is my "buzzing routine?
    doing the Adam Rapa sliding up and down trying to make sure their aren't a dead spots and also having some fullness in the buzz.
    I am really mindful not to be changing my embrochure. Them some argeggio's going down into what would be pedals and then arpeggios up
    Then some attacks to try to hold the tone steady on the attack
    Then slurred intervals
    that gets me to work..
    That added to the Arbans ,Characteristics studies, range exercises, and a music minus one cd I can play along with in my car actually make for a respectable practice session... and yes it's over 30 minutes...
    so thanks again ...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  4. LEBOUTILLIER

LEBOUTILLIER New Friend

Apr 1, 2011
    Iowa
    If I only had 30 minutes, I would start with some lip buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing. Then I like to go through the James Stamp 2nd variation, which brings me down to pedal C and up to E above high C. Then, I do some Iron's lip slurs, more than likely up to C or E. Then, a chromatic scale from the bottom to top of my comfortable range to get the fingers moving. By then, my 30 minutes would be up, my chops feel great, and I don't feel that I have hindered my playing by only getting half an hour that day.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    thx for posting L