When your chops get tired

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, Apr 29, 2010.

1. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    Do they kind of ache on both sides (outside the mp)?

I was playing some pages in Arbans last night and couldn't go very long before my chops started to feel tired. I hadn't played sinced Sunday (3 days), but I thought 10 min was a bit soon to be feeling tired. :shhh:

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    How much do you normally play every day?

If you only play a couple of times a week then 10 minutes of Arban pages (depending on which one you chose) could be a good workout...

3. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    strange

I never actually feel any pain on my muscles. Sometimes lips ache, but muscles never. Sometimes I just ran out of general stamina. But its never pain that halts my practice.

Am I doing something wrong?

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You haven't played for 3 days!?! Ouch!
    OK here's an idea, carry your mouthpiece in your pocket so when you're walking or driving you can buzz the mouthpiece as a means of keeping the lips up.
    Also, when you warm up, play a song and then set the horn down and go get a glass of water or a cup of coffee and by the time you get back you should be more ready to play.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Over the years I've had all kinds of soreness from playing - everything from raw spots inside my lip from pressing too hard and having my teeth dig in, to having my whole face ache after a long, tough gig, to my lips being sore - both from being chapped and irritated from having a mouthpiece rub over saliva all night, and from pulling a bit too much on the "octave key."

Sometimes I'll ache on the sides after a gig, but never really after practicing unless I haven't practiced in a while, or I get carried away and don't rest enough between exercises.

It sounds fairly normal to me, but if it's happening after practice, remember to rest more between playing times, and try not to over-practice. That can sometimes do more harm than good.

6. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    We all have those days... :dontknow:

7. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    Must have been a fluke last night! I just practiced for 1/2 hr, rested for 45 min or so, and played my guts out for 25 min more.
    Last night had me worried.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Do you consider that a lot of practice? Just curious - for me that's about what I do for maintenance of my chops - usually around an hour total time, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

All I did tonight was an extended warm up that lasted about 20 minutes. I had a rehearsal earlier (played drums) and I also wanted to squeeze in a 45 minute cardio workout before it got too late - I'm cooling down from the cardio as I type. Anyway, I figured that the 20 minutes was better than nothing, even if it wasn't actual practice.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chops of mush do hurt as you describe. The "well practiced" player feels the strain far lower in the body first. As a teacher, listening to chops of mush hurts even lower than that.

The solution is to practice more then everything is just fine.

10. lawrencelaptop

lawrencelaptop New Friend

Jun 30, 2009
    So what would be your advice to someone who is doing ABRSM grade 8 in three weeks? What sort of exercises would you recommend to just strengthen and extend range so its solid and reliable? Just wondering, cause my lips get tired waaaay too quick- after 20 minutes of consistent playing it gets hard to reach a G on the 5th spacing :S
    Worst thing is that my tone and technique is almost perfect; can provide a rich timbre and play through all my grade 8 pieces (baring lip fatique) with ease. I actually love Tchaikovsky's Ballet Suite in the Russian Roulette book :p

Thanks