When your chops get tired

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, Apr 29, 2010.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    1. A bit of modesty won't hurt you.
    2. If you ask these questions, that usually is a prove that the above statement of yours is far from the truth.
    3. 3 weeks before an exam is not a good time to think about increasing range or stamina. This kind of evolution/progress is measured in months as ROWUK would usually point out.

2. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow.

Anyways, so Rowuk I have a simular worry that judging from your post I should not.

I have in the past practiced alot more than I do now. In the oast 1 1/2 hrs a day. Work has really limited the face time, stupid bills. Recently, I picked up the Hummell and wanted to start working it again.

So, my 30 minute session (my lips give out) looks like this.

10 minutes of Long tones, and lip slurs.
    10 minutes of Arbans (usually the 1rst etude)
    10 minutes of the Hummell

I start to feel worn out in the stomach first, and then the lip. You say don't worry just keep practicing?

3. babyfacechulo

babyfacechulo New Friend

Nov 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I hardly play with too much corner muscle tightness anymore, so I never get tired easily. Actually speaking, I play rather too softly now for my age because when I was starting out in jhs, I always used to overblow but it took me at least 11 yrs to finally play very softly. And now I don't have that problem no more thanks god, lol

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's interesting that you should mention that. Back in my early 20s when I was playing trumpet for Uncle Sam, I got to a point with my chops where my chops never really did wear out - my wind machine would start to get tired, but as long as I could keep the air moving, my chops were fine.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Put the Hummel in the middle. Music is more important than Arban.

30 minutes is like, well, not even enough to keep the juices flowing. If I was practicing 30 minutes a day, my stomach would probably start acting up after 10 minutes..................

6. lawrencelaptop

lawrencelaptop New Friend

Jun 30, 2009
    Sorry, meant three months, and I wasn't aiming to win a popularity contest- only to get across where I'm at and what the problem is in a paragraph. I'm very sorry if its offended your sensibilities.

And the problem is that what I'm doing is tiring me out. The tone and technique is perfect FOR ME, it gets me doing what I want to do, comes out with a rich brassy sound and allows a clear, singing production for my notes when I play with brass bands and orchestras. I have heard better, and I'm sure there are many more that are much better and indeed in a different league. All I asked was for some way to specifically target the area of weakness which is my reach for C's.

I'm very sorry that you couldn't really point me in the right direction.

PS- I believe you meant proof, not prove. The little things matter :-)

7. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, LL!

All I can suggest is that you need to keep exercising your body (not just your chops) by playing every day to the point of fatigue (not pain). Arban's or Clarke studies would be good as would melodic playing with some technical stuff mixed in (like oboe sonatas -- they've always been good for my range and flexibility).

Play until you are feeling it, and note how long you were able to go. Do it again the next day, and note your endurance time. You'll find that after a week or so, your endurance is much better than it was when you started. You might find that the second day or third day is less than you started with, but it WILL improve with time and further practice!!!

Hope this helps!

Guy Clark

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    + Your first step is a DAILY routine of about 40-60 minutes. This means EVERY DAY. Long tones, slurs, light tonguing and tunes. This is not to get better, this is to establish a REAL foundation in your playing. It is the place to return to after every disappointment (or success).
    + second step is to get a life. Reward yourself with non-trumpet things for goals established and achieved. Dinner out, massage, sauna, a concert where someone else plays. There is NOTHING that helps us more in our search for perfection than rewards!
    + third step is for the last 4 weeks. We are creatures of habit. Design your day so that your peak (best) playing is about the time the ABRSM is. That means if you need a warm up, make sure that you get it before that time.
    + the final step is to be prepared. Use a metronome. I consider bad rhythm to be the BIGGEST flaw and most common weakness. Don't forget that half notes count rhythmically too. The first couple of notes in the Haydn Trumpet Concerto tell me how the rest is going to be. Those half notes show who cares and no monster technique has ever sounded right without groove. Even some of the finest players have real crap versions of the Haydn.

9. Klaus_O

Klaus_O New Friend

Jan 8, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    My muscles used to ache outside the mouthpiece usually after about 40 minutes of playing.( I do practice regularly) Specifically the pain radiated from corners of the lips along the jaw bone. I was diagnosed with TMJ and subsequently started using a mouthguard at night (grinding my teeth). The pain remained after playing with my jaw often giving a loud snap when I yawned (my daughter could hear it sitting in the car beside me)

Last October I tried the Harrison Wedge mouthpiece and really took to it. Big improvement in just about every aspect of playing. The biggest thing I noticed though was that my pain went away. My jaw does not snap anymore after playing. Dr Dave has been a real pleasure to work with over the last 6 month as I slowly outfitted my other horns with Wedge mouthpieces.

The other observation I noticed is that a facial dystonia below the lower lip has greatly reduced. Still there... but much less in intensity. But that is fodder for another future post as I work my way through that.:-)

10. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL

Dude,

I so knew you were gonna say that 30 minutes wasn't enough. Looks like it is back to ignoring the wife again.......:-?:-?:-?