When your chops get tired

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, Apr 29, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think you need to get her an instrument so that you can make beautiful music together!

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The only thing I would add to rowuk's list (which IMO is some good advice) is once you feel you have the stuff down, go and practice in the room you're having your audition.
    Getting use to the room is a good thing.

3. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    Heck no. I haven't played my horn is 27+ years, so my comeback is going a bit on the slow side.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ok - that makes sense. How long has it been since you picked the horn back up?

The embouchure and playing trumpet is a complex system that incorporates the use of all kinds of muscles - everything from the muscles around your lips and in your face, your jaw, your back, your abdomen, etc. If you've been off the horn for a while and are just stepping up your practice to another level, I'm not surprised that you have some soreness going on in your face. It used to happen to me now and again and I was playing all of the time.

And don't let anyone discourage you by saying that you aren't doing enough or that if you were doing things right it wouldn't happen. Baloney. Muscles are muscles and if you move them and work them, they can get sore. Even if you are in decent shape, if you engage in activity that is well beyond what you normally do, you will get sore - that's a fact, not an opinion, and yes, it can happen with your facial muscles too.

Welcome back to the horn, friend. Just keep after it, and this soreness will likely go away and be replaced with new strength. :thumbsup:

5. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks! I'm really enjoying this horn! I've been playing everyday for about 3 months or so. :play:

My teacher said to expect 4-6 months before my chops are strong. On the weekends, I try to play in the morning and again in the evening.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I took about 18 months off of the horn where it never even came out of the case immediately following my ETS from the Army. When I started playing again, it took a good six months before my chops felt right again, and I was gigging pretty regularly during that time.

Good luck with it! Isn't it nice to be playing again!? :thumbsup:

7. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Alright- so this gets a little off topic, but still stays towards most of the subject.
    What do you do on days where you have to play for a very extended period of time- I know that consistent practice helps, obviously. But at least in my experience, there comes a point in time where no matter how much you try to practice every day- a day where you have multiple rehearsals followed by a performance kills me.
    And really any advice you can give me is for the long run- I've had 3 rehearsals today followed by a set of 9 songs in a jazz festival tonight [5 playing lead, the last 4 playing 4th trumpet [thank God for being the least senior member in that band haha.]]
    My band director told me to take Ibuprofiin today-
    But what can I do to get ready for the next time I have one of these days?
    Is a good warm up, practice routine and few anti-inflamatories all I can do?
    --thanks

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I hope you don't mind me butting in.
    You shouldn't be getting tired in your stomach.

When you do your long tones and lip slurs try to relax. Really think about it. Big breath in and no force out, just let the air equalize the pressure on it's own. At half way empty, fill up again.

Relax, relax relax

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The short answer is yes - a good warm up, "warming down," (low, long tones and a bit of easy playing) and an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen is all you can do when you HAVE to play and you really don't have the chance to put the horn down or take a break from it. These days I'm pretty lucky with my situation and most of the time I can actually put the horn down for a day or so if necessary if I have a tough night of playing.

Sometimes your chops get beat up a little bit - that's part of playing trumpet if you want to play and gig instead of being a practice room hero. Sometimes I have gigs where the last thing I want to do is to have to muscle through the last 20-30 minutes of the night, but that's the gig, so up the horn goes, and I give everything I've got.