When You've Captured the Magic......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    .....what do you do to hold onto it?

Some days everything seems to go right: tone and intonation are great, low register is steady and sonorous, upper register clear and silvery, you start centring every attack, and a few articulations that had been giving trouble just fall neatly into place...

For an hour or so maybe.

But then what do you do? Do you quit when you're at the top of the game, or just keep practising until you drop, trying to get as much of that magic embedded as possible, fearing that next morning "the knack" will have vanished never to return?

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Perfect practice makes perfect.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    too much analysis causes paralysis..

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great question. I suspect this is a common scenario. For whatever reason, on a given day, everything is working right. Because of this, you spend the day playing double G's (and beating the heck out of your chops). Then you wonder why nothing works the next day.

I like to think of what Clarke wrote for his first technical study about always keeping your lips "fresh and under control". Whether it's a good day or a bad day, I always try to do the same thing. When I put the horn back in the case, I always leave some gas in the tank.

Mike

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Seth,

I go with the moment. On those really "on" days, I just keep playing as long as that little voice in me says keep going. When I can't hear that voice anymore, it is time to stop. Most important after that, is the system of rewards that I have in place for those special times. For me, that can be quality time with my wife, a trip to the sauna, a bicycle tour or a bottle of something very special saved for occasions like this.

I think that most players miss the boat when the rewards are not part of their playing lives! All of the crashed players that I have ever worked with have all benefitted from getting a life and goodness triggered by success!

6. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    Hi! I found this thread so interesting as good material to meditate on the process of creation...finally related to all fine arts. I believe that in painting as in music, the muses of inspiration, the "magic" are not always there, but when they come to us they should find us at work...sketching... practicing...experimenting... rehearsing... studying....reading... even when our state of mind, mood, life circunstances, (family, health and financial issues...) do not look like the most appropiate to keep doing it. The cold, bitter and sometimes boring flavor of method, firm rutine and discipline is sometimes necesary to, then, at the end, deeply feel and enjoy the sweetness and unespected delicious flavours that we get from the music that comes out of our trumpets!!!
    BernArt

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sometimes it helps to "metabolize" what we've experienced afterwards, to try to memorize the experience. I've found, that when I have those "magic performances" that I am overall, more "broadly aware" during those times. Musically, yeah, everything was spot-on (as if the music played me) but what I found interesting is that all my senses were more aware. It was as if the bit of environment normally trapped in my me-bubble expanded to the point I was aware of the total performance environment as well as the physical environment.

I was even aware of the conductor!

Good news is that with conscientious practice, these magic times will appear more often.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I ride it for what it's worth - savor it, but not to the point of overdoing it. The next day I continue to work on what I need to work on, and wait for the next "magic" day.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Come on, that's stretching credulity too far! ;-)

Seriously, I do miss being part of an orchestra. That getting caught up in the passion of the piece; that feeling of every note having it's right moment and voice that can really only come from being part of a dialogue with other instruments. Above all, that 'electricity' that flows through everyone when it all comes together. The real magic.

Difficult to capture that degree of involvement when it's just you on your tod.

But we learn to thrive on crumbs.

For years, Arban exercise 32 (page 34) was my standard 'blow out the cobwebs' warm up. One day about eighteen months ago I started struggling with the Ds and just knew immediately that something fairly serious had gone wrong. Yesterday I looked at it first time for many months and breezed straight through it with absolutely zero tension. That felt really good. :-)

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY