When?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jun 16, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    When do you know if you are/will be good enough to have a career in the playing buisiness?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Most of us will never get there.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    When its not unusual to wear a coat, tie and polished shoes when you play.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Or a beautiful evening gown and professionally created coiffure and make up if you are of the opposite gender, at least not to be opposed to such when requested. IF, IF, and IF (only in my wildest imagination) I were then to play duet, it would be tux with tails attire for me. Certainly at the moment, I'd need to see my barber for a haircut (even though I now haven't as much hair as I once did ... but I don't go for the toupee thing). At least I wouldn't have to buy or rent patent shoes or others of mine that are shined well enough to meet the standards of USAF SAC (now defunct), USMC, or ANG honor guard (the latter absent the cleats and heel bangers).

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    When people start giving you money to play.
    That's a pretty good indication.

Or if you're just freakin awesome, go to college, get a degree in performance, and then get paid to play.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, your fantasy world seems an ever so fascinating place.

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well i'm going into my senior year, and plan on being a high school band director, as I have become more knowlegable about the trumpet, unless the new lessons teacher I switch to kicks me off like a saturn V rocket, then i'll be pretty good, drum corps material, maybe drum corps lead player material if I can afford march more than a year or two. So as of right now unless im set off likea rocket I say I wont be professional

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    No kidding! Never yet have I worn an evening gown for a gig - I just spend time searching for feminine alternatives for tuxes that won't stand out too much from the guys! Wear an evening gown and you're only asking for trouble if you look fancier than the female singer! :lol:

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You never really know. That is why you keep practicing and studying and are never totally happy with your playing and progress. You always know that you can get better and go further.

10. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I agree. I'm a guy, and female trumpeters in dresses just don't do it for me.
    Just seems weird...stick with a nice pants suit...or some sort of dress that isn't a GOWN....