When?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jun 16, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You will NEVER know if you are GOING to be. This is a profession where you only find out AFTER you get there. At music school there were plenty of players better than me. Most of them don't play anymore. There is a combination of talent, attitude and luck. The first two you can do something about, the last finds you - or it doesn't.

You increase your chances by studying with a plugged in local pro. They can get you into the scene if they think that you are worth it. That is up to you.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've known some really good players over the years who were much better than me who stopped playing for one reason or other, although that doesn't really address the OP's question of when you know you are a good enough player. Being good enough and having the passion to persevere are two different things. A great player who doesn't have the drive to get out there and go for it isn't going to find themselves working much as a musician, while a player with passion who is good enough to get the gig done usually continues to find work, even if it doesn't pay a lot.

I don't play full time anymore and even when I did, it was attached to a military career, so it wasn't a playing career per se. I still gig all of the time on two instruments - for me music is such an important part of my life that I have to actively pursue playing music with others. I spent about 18 months where I wasn't really doing much musically (well, I was doing some Ancient style rudimental snare drumming, but didn't fully puruse it and it was with a ragtag volunteer group) and I couldn't put my finger on the fact that there was a void in my life until by chance I started to play again. (Shout out of thanks to Bobby List!)

So am I good enough? Who knows. At one time I might have been able to make a living had I gone for broke (emphasis on the word "broke") and just went for it, but by then there were other considerations. By my mid 20s I was married and had kids that had to be provided for, and I wasn't going to make them suffer so I could run off to pursue a dream of maybe being a session player, or landing some other kind of regular paying gigs that would somehow provide me with a stable living. It was a conscious decision to put music on a side burner and to find my living doing something else a bit more stable for someone at my level of ability.

I've always tried to emphasize that on the larger scale, I'm pretty much a hack player. I'm good enough to gig and make money with some smaller, less intense groups, but not good enough to land really high end jobs (Harry Connick Jr's or Michael Buble's big bands, as an example) For me, that's more than enough and I've found contentment with that.