Where can I buy tubing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BobnBuckingham, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BobnBuckingham

BobnBuckingham Pianissimo User

Oct 15, 2009
    Doylestown, PA
    I need to make some sleeves for the 1st/2nd?/3rd valve tuning crooks to convert an old Hi Pitch horn to Low Pitch so it can be used conveniently. Thus I’d like to buy a foot or so (more than enough) of brass tubing, measuring .459 i.d. (I verified this by inserting the tuning crook into the tuning crook of my .459 Olds Ambassador—fit nicely, snug, but “just right”.
    I’ve done a search of general metals product companies, but don’t come up with anything closer than .472, which is too large. I also tried several old ‘beater’ horns I’ve got hanging around, but they were all too small, and I don’t want to cannibalize my Ambassador to do this. Enough horns have been (and continue to be) made with .459 bore that this product has to exist. Where can it be purchased? Any help would be appreciated.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    K & S Precision metals make a range of sizes in both fractional and metric in 12"/300MM lengths, I have used successfully.

Regards, Stuart.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Any tech can source this tubing. If you like to email me exactly what you want (Brass/Nickel Silver), and what your address is, I will sell you some.

4. BobnBuckingham

Oct 15, 2009
    Doylestown, PA
    Many thanks!

5. BobnBuckingham

Oct 15, 2009
    Doylestown, PA
    Thank you. I’ll send a private message with the specifics.

6. Evie

Evie Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2017
    Italy
    A bit OT, but apparently Clark Terry wanted to play the trumpet so badly when he was a kid, he made one himself. His neighbours then bought him a real one. :laughwave:

Kang-Ling and J. Jericho like this.
  7. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    You won't need to do anything to the 1st 2nd and 3rd slide. Just the tuning slide. About 3 to 4 inches on each end. You will pull out the First slide about 1/2" , second about 1/16" and third about 7/8"

SteveRicks likes this.
  8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Please check your math. A 3 to 4 inch extension will take a Bb horn down approximately a whole step. High to low pitch is less than a half step.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Votaw tool sells lengths of trumpet tubing to anyone.

BobnBuckingham and J. Jericho like this.