Where did all this gear come from?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Jun 27, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had an interesting thought when I was packing up after the gig yesterday afternoon regarding what is now "necessary" for me to gig. Let me explain.

When I was a kid, I had a cornet and the case was set up so that the tray holding the cornet had a big space underneath and it would lift up, so you could place sheets of music or the school band books flat in the case under the horn, and everything I needed, I could carry in that one case.

Fast forward to now.

Here is my list of things I brought to do the gig:

Bb Trumpet
    Bb Flugelhorn
    Trumpet Stand
    Flugelhorn Stand
    Stand Light
    Valve Oil
    9-V Batteries (for the Shure in-ears pack and the wireless Beta 87 vocal mic)
    Sound Shield
    Book of music (Currently contains roughly 240 charts)
    Tuner with bell mic (I use it to spot check intonation and for flugel tunes when the flugel is cold)
    Shure E1 In-Ear Monitor Buds

other things that I used but didn't bring:

Mic Stand for horn
    Shure SM57 Microphone for trumpet
    Mic Stand for Vocal Mic
    Shure Beta 87 wireless vocal mic
    mic cable for horn mic
    Shure In-Ear monitor pack
    Folding, locking stand for music (and it has to lock - a Manhassett won't hold the book because it's too heavy)

When did all of this stuff become necessary!?

Of course with Big Band, the list is different, but still extensive. You still need all of the horns, stands and music, but for the most part, you don't need the electronics. however, then you can add to this your selection of mutes:

Straight
    Cup
    Harmon
    plunger
    Derby

It's an interesting evolution going from the high school student who only has a handful of music to learn and might only have one or two mutes, and doesn't own a flugelhorn, to carting around everything that you need to gig out in a party band or a big band.

Just a random thought for a Monday morning. :-)

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I was just thinking the same thing, I have alot of stuff that I think I couldn't live without anymore. In my Jr. High years, all I needed to bring was a trumpet, and a few sheets of music that I normaly had crumpled up in my case.
    But now I have to carry around all this:

Concert horn
    Marching horn
    3 or 4 differant mouthpieces for differant playing styles
    2 or 3 extra tuneing slides for differant styles
    straig mute
    cup mute
    harmon mute
    plunger mute
    velvat mute
    valve oil
    slide grease
    Orchrestra music
    Band music
    Marchingband music and drill book

and thats all just stuff for my high school band life! When I go out playing gigs with my ska band then I have all the extra stands and electronics like you do. Why can't things me simple again like they were a few years ago?

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I remember last year when I went to a recording I had to bring:

Bb tpt, C tpt, Eb tpt, D tpt, Bb cnt, C rotary, Piccolo, Flugel, 10 mutes and a bunch of mouthpieces.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    :shock:

If you are going to play and gig, long gone are the days where you could get by with one horn, one mouthpiece, and everything instrument related all packed neatly into one case.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    You know, after reading this post and lookin' at my own gear... I realized the dollar amount of all my gear equals more than my apartment, my car, clothes, and electronics PUT TOGETHER!... wow....

And to think, when people robbed me a long time ago, the only thing they took was my computer and stereo, lol... losers! :D