Where do I go to have my trumpet refurbished? Your experience or opinion?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wmule7, Sep 2, 2015.

1. wmule7

wmule7 New Friend

Jul 27, 2015
    I have an older Olds and I really like the way it sounds but the finish is in real bad shape with one or two small dents. I am a pain in --- with looks and want to know who others have used for relacquer jobs!!! Thanks

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Where are you??? No need to recommend a tech in New Zealand if you're in Ontario...

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The very best lacquer work I've ever seen is that done by Mark Metzler. That said, I've had similar work done by Robb Stewart and by Charlie Melk, and their work is also superior. What I like about Mark's work is that he uses two-part or "baked" epoxy - that stuff's going to last. He and Robb are both good at tinting to match existing lacquer; I haven't had the opportunity to see Charlie's work in that area, but I'd bet he's no slouch. If you really like the horn, give it a treat and send it to one of the very best - it deserves more than air-dried lacquer from the local music store's back room.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You would win that bet, though it's often easier just to strip the whole horn and redo it.

Tom

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I use Southeastern Musical Services in Huntsville, Alabama. Top-rate work at reasonable prices. So far, they have refinished three horns for me - a '55 Mt. Vernon Bach Strad trumpet, an Olds L-12 flugelhorn, and the most recent, a Conn 5A Victor cornet that they customized for me with a copper-plated bell. I've been satisfied.

The Conn 5A is the one on top...
    [​IMG]

6. wmule7

wmule7 New Friend

Jul 27, 2015
    Sorry in the states. New Orleans Louisiana.

7. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Charlie Melk in WI : top notch work, likely need to wait a bit before he can take your job as he's in demand - would use when you want the best and are willing to wait/pay for it

Mark Metzler in IN : top notch work, likely need to wait a bit before he can take your job as he's in demand - would use when you want the best and are willing to wait/pay for it

Kanstul in CA : can be hit/miss in terms of quality control (in my experience - some really high quality work but some BS may slip by), less wait time for job, cost would be among the lower end of the spectrum for restoration/lacquer work- lots of experience/parts for Olds as that is where Zig started out

Osmun Brass in MA : never had a "complete" restoration from here but a lot of lesser repairs, brass tech. James Becker is among the best in the business

These are who I have personally used and my experiences with each.

edfitzvb likes this.
  8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Here is an example of Metzler's work. This is a restoration of an old Leblanc 707Sonic. Good luck.
    Jim
    [​IMG]

9. scott@95603

[email protected] New Friend

Mar 27, 2014
    I, too, am a pain in the --- when it comes to looks, but I would not hesitate to send a Kanstul horn to Kanstul for any work, including relacquering; however, I don't think I would send any other make of horn to Kanstul for work. My experience having an Olds reworked at Kanstul was nothing short of maddening...never again. Robb Stewart has worked on my two Olds trumpets and did a wonderful job, but I did not have him relacquer. If Kanstul would put the same effort into other makes of horns as they do their own...that would be great because their prices are very reasonable.

10. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA