Where do words come from?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And now for something completely different......

I was reading another forum and saw a word. Suddenly it snapped on me... is THIS where this word comes from?

In a British website I saw the word "padlock". Now... why do we call a padlock a "PAD lock"? I suddenly remembered that a thief is cometimes called a "foot pad" in certain cultures. Does anyone know if the "pad" in "padlock" comes from the "pad" in "foot pad"?

Enough! I'm ready for a long weekend.

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Hey Toots,

Maybe (I doubt it though) it comes from PAD as in,
    "my pad or yours baby?"

You would want to lock-up your pad when you are gone right? and you're gonna need a lock for that... so get a padlock...

:lol:

3. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    padlock
    "removable lock," 1479, from lokke (see lock), but the first element is a complete mystery. The verb is attested from 1645.

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Ah, an then comes the question, "where did "the" come from?" Why call it "the"? I think "Mshaeta" would have made a better word...

5. Mr. Semman

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    the
    late O.E. þe, nom. masc. form of the demonstrative pronoun and adj. After c.950, it replaced earlier se (masc.), seo (fem.), þæt (neut.), and probably represents se altered by the þ- form which was used in all the masc. oblique cases (see below). O.E. se is from PIE base *so- "this, that" (cf. Skt. sa, Avestan ha, Gk. ho, he "the," Ir., Gael. so "this"). For the þ- forms, see that. The s- forms were entirely superseded in Eng. by c.1250, excepting dial. survival slightly longer in Kent. O.E. used 10 different words for "the" (see table, below), but did not distinguish "the" from "that." That survived for a time as a definite article before vowels (cf. that one or that other). Adv. use in the more the merrier, the sooner the better, etc. is a relic of O.E. þy, originally the instrumentive case of the neuter demonstrative þæt (see that).

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Oh, I'm sorry... did you say something?

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    OMG... :-o Mr Semman... way too much salt air for you... you're not drinking the stuff are you? :lol: :lol:

8. Mr. Semman

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Not enough salt air. The "Selkie" is still all cocooned up! AAAaarggghh! Ye scurvy dogs.

Speaking of scurvy dogs, I thought I had a lesson yesterday. I went to my instructor's house only to find him gone! Oh well, more rum for me!!!

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Mr. Semman,

Went to your boat site.... nice boat!! I want to introduce you to a fellow trumpet player and friend here in Phoenix that is also very into sailing. Owns one of similar size to yours and keeps it at San Carlos, Mexico (Sea of Cortez).
    Nice guy, great trumpet player... not sure about his sailing abilities... (trying to mess with him in case he decides to participate in this forum).

Rogerio