Where do you practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Now that I've got a new job, I've come across what may be an age-old problem and I'd love to get everyone's tips on this. I now travel about an hour and a half each way for work which means leaving home early and usually getting home close to when my kids need to be getting to bed. Weekends will be fine but I'm trying to work out where I can practice during the week.

I have started lessons at a music store not far away from work and they have practice rooms which they have said I can use at lunch if they're free. But it might be an ad hoc arrangement and may not be consistent. I do remember practicing in my car in my lunch hour when I used to play years ago and may need to do that again although it's not the best for posture, breathing etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Yeah, get a good practice mute and do the car thing but also buzz your mouthpiece on the commutes. Play along with music and it's actually really beneficial.

Buzzing may actually be better for your chops than practicing with a mute.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    In my office building there is underground parking and also a storage room that belongs to my company. I got permission to use the storage room for practice in the morning before I start work. Works out very well for me.

Tom

4. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Great suggestions, thanks guys. I like the MP buzzing idea, easy enough to do in the car, not so on the bus. I'm yet to check out the new premises but there may be a store room someplace.
    Cheers.

5. Catchops

Catchops New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I work as a software consultant and am never in a single office for a very long time (6-12 months tops usually). So, I've found that if you can find a nearby church with a full time staff, they will usually let you play in their music room, sanctuary, or some other classroom in their facility over lunch time.

I always talk to the music director and/or the pastor about it, and always volunteer myself to play along with them during some service, or provide a bit of special music for them at some time to repay their generosity.

Works out great and I've met a lot of wonderful people that way.

BTW...yes...I've done the truck practice - agreed - breathing and posture in that environment sucks!!

6. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    At home ... all of my practice is done very softly which teaches you breath control etc. When I want to let it all hang out ... I will occasionally for maybe ten minutes here and there after scouting out who is around to be bothered etc. I do a lot of Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies very softly while watching television in my bedroom.

7. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I have a dream job, I work in a church (pastor) so have use of it any time I like. Not practical to play at home so I keep my horns at church and can play pretty much any time I like!

8. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Rev James, you just gave me a great idea. I play music at my church and regularly rehearse there in the evenings. Why not use it for trumpet? I might need to duck over there after my kids in in bed but I could get some time in for sure.

Thanks.

9. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Great idea! I think there are a few churches nearby work. I'll scout around. Thanks.

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    In my place but I'm far from other structures and no one minds. No one complains about all the roosters, the donkey nearby, the geese, the usual rural sounds, anyway.

But this is why you see guys getting up at 4AM to get a chance to work out at the gym, often waking up extremely early is the only way to get anything systematic done.