Where do you practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Last Thursday encountered a trumpeter with the perfect set-up to get about gig to gig and practice. He has a sound insulated step-van. Too, yes, he has what is needed for an essential lay-over, but such is not a professionally finished motor coach. He also carries carpenter's tools as his stomach gets kinda near empty from time to time. He was on his way to his mother's and step father's in Oklahoma for the Thankgiving holidays.

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I live on a farm and practice whenever and whereever I want to. You can have suburbia.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

I do the mpc thing with an old B.E.R.P. while driving. Do my warm up, then play "duets" with Arturo or Clifford. Makes me feel creative since they always play the same thing :roll:! I also keep a pocket trumpet in my truck so when I can't work on a job site, the time isn't wasted. At home, whenever my wife is away so it doesn't bother her. Consistency is lacking however. May insulate an old shed and turn it into a music shed.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ed, that is just outstanding. A sound insulated van for practice ....

For now, I sometimes use the practice rooms at the University where my private instructor works. I really should do this more often, some of the rooms are quite large, with baby grand pianos in them. It's informative to practice at a good volume in a big room.

Turtle

btw, Church would be ideal, I'd think, because the acoustics are often really good.

5. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I used to practice in my bedroom, which is in the back of the house and least likely to annoy anybody. Now, I don't care too much. I practice in the garage with or without the door open. I don't practice at unGodly hours; I keep it reasonable in that way. Otherwise, I let it rip.

The other night, after I had gone through my regular practice routine, I was working on some special music that my wife and I are preparing together. I was doing a little bit of ad-libbing during one part and got it sounding pretty good. Satisfied, I put my horn away and was walking into the house when my neighbor texted me and told me she was enjoying my playing. I blushed a little, I won't lie. It was kind of creepy, too! I guess I should be glad that at least she didn't call the cops!

Mark

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've been trying to convince my Dad to build a bomb shelter in his backyard, but he just won't go for it. :dontknow:

Turtle

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Hey when I was a kid a guy used to practice drums and guitar across the street and I loved it. I used to listen all I could. Of course I also loved the trash truck coming through, we lived on what was considered a snooty, upper-class, street and I swear the guys used to do all they could to be noisy, yell, whistle for the truck to start/stop etc well, this little kid loved it. Those old trucks with 2 guys hanging onto the back and metal cans ='d win.

Seriously, if you're decent some people might just like it, or just think you're playing a record or something. Or, just live in the country it's great. I shot a possum in the middle of the night a couple nights ago and no one cares.

8. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Last time I was on holiday in Devon, the only place I could play was out in a very large meadow. The trouble was lack of feedback ie nothing coming back from walls and ceilings etc. In fact I could hardly hear myself despite giving it everything I had. Although a couple at the bottom of the meadow did applaud after I noticed them!

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I should try playing at the back of our place, wide open meadow all right, and see if I notice this effect. I've played in open squares and streets and well, I think I sound terrific (although not everyone agrees).

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I also work in a church like Rev James but Im not the pastor. Churches usually have great acoustics and generous caring people who appreciate good music. This is an ideal situation to be in for practice. I also keep my instruments there for ease of access. Best wishes.