Where not to practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Darten, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I was at work today, practicing my lip flapping and lipp buzzing when I realized, everyone in the lobby of my building was looking at me. I work on the corner of the 42nd street and broadway in Manhattan. Lets just say it was full of european models looking hungery and corporate attorneys looking busy. The one person to say something to me was the fire safety director for the building. He said, "There is something wrong with you, really wrong". My only reply was that I play the cornet, of course there is something wrong with me.

Anyways moral of the story, wait til you are in the elevator before you start lip buzzing, or you end up taking the elevator by yourself.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    A good buzz could be mistaken for something else ..... but just to be sure, get some of that stinky joke perfume "morning breeze" and open the bottle when practicing your buzz.

And I have a Conn Tank too, love it.

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I buzz and lip flap whenever I am strolling by myself ALL the time. In the car, too. Better yet, when I practice articulations like double or triple tonguing while walking the hallways near my office. Yes, I get strange looks but I do not care anymore. I have missed 35 years of playing as a comeback player and I am not wasting anymore time.

Best Wishes,

DK

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm not allowes to lip flap, lip buzz or mpc buzz arounf my wife. She doesn't like those "strange" noises. So go to my studio, car, outside. She does like to hear me play my horn.

5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I am forbidden when I am with my wife as well. I sometimes accidentially start when following behind her wehen we are grocery shopping and I get serious "stink eye".

DK

6. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    I know what you mean! I hum songs, lip buzz, all of it during school sometimes and I get the strangest looks :)

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    All of the above! Family won't ride in the truck with me. Why?! :D

8. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    Nothing like doing mouthpiece buzzing exercises at a stop light, looking over, and seeing a couple of pretty young ladies looking at you like you've got a third arm growing out of your forehead.....:roll:

Luckily, I have no shame about such things anymore. I lost all claim to cool when I became a teacher....

Scatmanblues

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    An elevator to yourself in Manhattan? Enjoy, if you don't mind people thinking you are from the Bronx!

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Eh, lip noises are fun for ME but probably not for other people. Lots of places to do 'em by myself though.