Where now?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Dec 30, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, im 16 years old and recently passed my ABRSM Grade 8 with Distinction. I love playing and am it would be fantastic if i was fortunate to make a career out of my passion. I have auditioned for music college and have been put through to the final auditions (i played the Goedicke- Concert etude & the Haydn 2nd Mov).
    My question to you is, where do i go now? How do i improve my technique and range to 'put me in the spot light' as it were?. My range is up to an E/F above high C and Ds on a consistent basis and i got 21 out of a possible 22 on the Goedicke (if you can use that as a basis) i was marked down on my communication haha.

I no this is a weird question but i thought i'd ask the pros!
    :thumbsup:

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    What is ABRSM?

I can't believe I'm saying this, get a teacher. You are to the point where you need to get intimate with the music and learn the language.

3. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (UK), i have a teacher! every since i first started! I was just looking for pointers on advanced/ advanced techniques.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    OK, if I were teaching you, I would teach you the language of music and how to communicate this to the audience. You said that this was your one mark down point. There is no magic. It sounds like your on the right track with technique.

Learning music is something that builds on itself. If you have a teacher, stick with the program. Sounds like you're doing great.

5. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Okay thanks :thumbsup:

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Get more teachers. You can never learn enough, and every teacher has a different take on music.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    At age 16 you are doing great. Musicianship is a product of experience and maturity. You never realy get there, its an ongoing process. Sort of like being a Christian, you never get to be Christ just a little bit better and more like Him tomorrow than you are today. Best wishes.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ok - let me suggest Jazz, big band, marching, and other types of music to make you a "better" all round guy.

9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    why not work up to the diploma? just keep with what youve been doing, you must obviously be doing well to get grade 8 distinction at 16, I got mine a few years ago and rapidly declined as I lost my teacher but now I have a very very good teacher and am working back upto were I was with a much better understanding of technique etc.

why not get into jazz? big band playing? brass band playing? if your interested in any of that?

10. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Is the diploma linked to the same board? or trinity? and yes im very interested in jazz! i just dont know where to start, or how!:-)