Where should I be?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YTR-6335S, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    Go to as many live performances as possible. (not just trumpet stuff either) Thats one thing I wish I did in high school. Its fun and you can really learn. Try talking to the musicians. But, it seems like you have a passion for music wich is great!!!! You should check out these sites......
    "trumpet-stuff.com" and "erikveldkamp.com" THey are really cool. Erik's site has some solo transcriptions lots of other cool stuff. But click on "trumpet kings" on his main page for alot of aewsome video clips. Also, JoJo, hymnals are a great thing to use for learning transposition. Just transpose one or two short hymns out of it a day and you will be doing it quickly in no time. Plus they can get your chops burrnin'. I found that transposition for me is just a matter of doing it on a regular bassis.
    goodluck ytr-6335S.

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Get thee to a teacher, go! There is no substitute for a good private teacher.Find the best trumpet player in your area and go to them and ask for lessons. You cannot really progress until you get a good teacher. I was not lucky, I didn't find a good one until college. A good teacher will help you progress faster than anything, assuming that you will actually do what he or she tells you.

Michael McLaughlin

now watching: UCLA and Kansas. Go Bruins!

3. YTR-6335S

YTR-6335S New Friend

Jul 3, 2006
    Dancing
    Thanks for the links and info everyone. I went to the music store today for some valve oil and asked about lessons. They are $55 a month for 30 min lessons once a week. I still need to find a job. My town often has concerts in the park, I will try to go to those. My goal someday is to become a musician and work at a movie studio, or something like that.

I am going to get the method book asap.

BWT, someone mentioned seperating the men from the boys, in my case it would be the women from the girls:). I'm one of 3 girl trumpet players in my band. Just thought I'd share that.

Thanks for all the great info! Keep it commin'.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You need to inquire whether there are any scholarships available to help defay the cost of private lessons. Check with your local community council or other organizations that might help. Here in central New York many small communities have a community council which fund youth programming and scholarships for such things as lessons or camp. The United Way gives some money for this.
    You will improve by leaps and bounds with a good private teacher. If there are any performers in your area - in a symphony, or chamber group, what have you, that have trumpeters, go hear them, and then arrange to talk to the players. There is a possibility someone would give you lessons for next to nothing, or in return for helping out in some way.

ITG members might also help. Check out their website.

Hey all you trumpet nuts - lets find a way to help this guy get lessons!

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Oops, sorry, I meant girl!

6. YTR-6335S

YTR-6335S New Friend

Jul 3, 2006
    Dancing
    lol. Thanks. I think there might be some type of brass group, but I'm not sure. If there is I will be sure to go and talk with them. Maybe I can get my director to give me some numbers or something. I will see what I can do about lessons. Thanks for the help everyone!