Where to breath?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, May 3, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Trumpet Masters, I know this question opens the door for non-specific answers, but here goes anyway. If you were sitting with a student who was playing exercise 16 on page 27 of Arbans, and the student was running out of breath before completing a long phrase of doted 16th notes where would you suggest they take a breath before turning blue? Is there a "breath" rule as applied to a long phrase of dotted sixteenth notes, etc.. Like: "avoid breathing at the beggining of a bar, or, the end of the bar," or "plan to take a on the middle notes of the bar". In short, are there "rules" on where it is better to take a breath during a long phrase of notes other than whole, half, and quarter notes?

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I don't think it's always 100% required to play those kinds of studies exactly as written. If I needed a breath at an inopportune time, I would probably ritard a little, come to a graceful stop, take and good breath and continue with the study. Combine that with taking a relaxed and full breath every time and occasionally seeing if you can make it all the way to the next half note, and I think you'll eventually be able to 1) make the longer phrases without breathing and 2) pick up a cool phrasing idea too.

Maybe I'll be overrulled, but I think that a tasteful "ritard/fermata, stop, breathe, go" is better than trying to sneak a quick breath all the time. It's a study about the dotted 8th/16th, not the dozens of other things we (including me!) might start thinking about.

On the other hand...it's good to practice a quick breath sometimes too! The syllable "UP" for a quick breath can help.

So, in conclusion, I guess I don't really know either...but those are some ideas!

Jason.

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Assuming my "old" edition of the Arbans is the same as what you have, if the student can't play the entire thing in one breath, try this ... line three if #16, first bar there is a 1/2 note. Sneek a quick one there, after the 1/2 note. Same at the end of line 3. Then, the last bar of line 4 there's a quarter note on beat one ... a quick one there. It also might help to have the student play a bit softer, saving some air for long passeges.

Not a stupid question ... all the best.

4. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Pedal C's reply gives me permission to re-wright the exercise, and I like that. But, I can hear my teacher objecting to not playing the exercise as written. "Sneaking a quick one" (breath) as MPM suggests is what I do, but it's not full enough to get me through without turning blue. I think what I'm asking is more difficult to answer than "stupid". I guess there are no rules for breathing during long passages with short notes. Arban's section on Phrasing gives some indication about appropriate breathing locations. I'll have to take a harder look at that. Thanks to all, you truly are brothers of the cause.