Where to focus my efforts?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Feb 21, 2013.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My last challenge was to increase my single-tonging speed. I've worked on that and feel a lot better than I did a month ago. Now, I'm continuing to work through Arban's, but feel like I have so many things to improve upon, I can't figure out how to organize my practice sessions.

I've been doing about 15 minutes of single-tonguing practice followed by 1/2 hour from Arban's and then another 15 minutes working on memorizing some standards.

Any suggestions? This would probably be a good time to get a lesson, but I can't afford to consistently go, so I've been putting that decision off.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chipotle

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The EBQ returns to Little E's this Saturday night from 8:30 PM till 12:30 AM. Bring your tired tongue out for a nice cool drink, give it a rest, and let my tongue do the work for you.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Another one of these things you wouldn't want to be taken out of context, Gary...

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I guess we are talking tongue in cheek...

but to be precise...
    Let me do all the single tonguing for the night on my fine horns, while you sit back, relax, and let me do all the work on the horn Saturday evening with my quintet.

I hope this makes it right!

6. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wish I could come out to see you again Gary.. But we have plans for the evening.

Hope you have a good show.. and I'll catch you next time.

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I suggest you cover every aspect of fundamentals, instead of focusing all of your efforts on one thing. This will help you become a very well-rounded player.
    Some ideas:
    -Lip slurs
    -Dexterity (e.g. Clarke)
    -Single tonguing
    -Double tonguing
    -Triple tonguing
    -Range (not too much)
    -Intervals
    -Scales
    You can always improve on these things. Make sure to rest as much as you play.

8. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Is there anything that you feel that you are not as proficient at?

Put extra focus on that, but try to maintain all of the aspects hhsTrumpet has suggested. :D

9. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That seems like a lot of things to practice daily. If I do 5 minutes each of that.. it will be 40 minutes and won't leave much time for continuing through Arban's and working on new music.

Do you break that up into separate days? I really can't practice more than an hour a day.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No problem. Enjoy your night. We are back next month, Saturday March 23, same time, same place. You can check our website at Eddie Brookshire Quintet | for additional performances once they are booked. Little E's typically books us in thee month blocks.

Gary