where to go

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by eisprl, Mar 1, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I will be graduating next year from a classical performace bachelor. But now that I have this classical 'legit' basis, I am very much interested in doing some sort of jazz diploma. The only thing is that I don't have much experience in improvising. I do have lots of experience in lead work, but it's improvisation that I would like to learn.

My question is this,

Within Canada, where should I go for a jazz diploma program? I emailed Humber college and they said that they are alwys accepting bacelor graduates, and I also emailed Case Sanborn (more or less to ask if he even taught - which he does) Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give
    Eric

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    There are several colleges in BC with jazz diplomas. Mohawk College is in Hamilton, I think. They also have a diploma program. I sorta did what you did. I spent two years in classical at U of T and then switched over to Humber for jazz. Humber by far has the best reputation.

Keep in mind that you don't even really need a diploma. There is a guy at Humber right now who has an engineering degree from U of T and plays really well. He's a good trumpet player and a good jazzer. He's not going to complete the diploma because he already has the stupid piece of paper that says he's smart. :roll: He's just taking the classes that he feels would make him a better trumpet player and jazz player. I'm not sure how many years he's planning on staying at the school.

I'll try to answer and questions about Humber if you have any.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Problem with the Banff Center is that it runs workshops rather than a full program; I would have recommended (and did earlier) U. Vic, UBC, or the college at Nanaimo. (Any place that can produce Diane Krall has to have a good jazz program!)

http://www.mala.ca/calendar/FINEJAZZ.ASP