Where to go

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Dec 6, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey everyone.

I am presently stuck in a decision that will affect not only my playing but also my pocket book.

I am graduating this year from my Bachelors and I need to find out what I want to do next. Personally, I would love to do a masters which leads me into my question. Where would be the best place to go for a trumpet performance masters in Canada! I cannot afford the States so please don't tell me how great this or that school is (I know there are great schools in the states - I just don't have the money).

Persoanlly, I heard University of Calgary has a good program but I am also looking into University of British Columbia and Humber Jazz College. I can go either way (Jazz or legit). I have a really good foundation in playing and I would like to keep going into some sort of graduate work.

Cheers
    Thanks
    Eric Sproul

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Do you want to play, learn or get a job in the field?

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I'm not sure if Humber has graduate degrees.

The two solid programs I know about are McGill & University of Toronto.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I would have suggested McGill also. U Vic has a good music program but I have no idea where they stand in the brass area.

Is there nothing at Acadia? Or do they specialize in B.Mus?

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I am looking to get a job in the field of performance. And I have a friend at Uof Toronto who suggested I do not look there for a graduate degree in trumpet. Acadia is mostly education based. I don't even think they have a performance masters.

Thanks, keep em' comin'
    Eric

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I don't know how this will go over but for an accomplished artist the military would be interesting, talk about playing with style and in the best places.....I always wished I had done that when I had the chance, see the world and all that....

7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Uof Victoria has Lou Ranger. He is a great teacher. He has NY phil and american brass on his resume, not bad :D

McGill has Merkelo who is also a great teacher, and a monster player.

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Funny you should mention the Military - that is exactly my #1 goal. But while I wait for an opening, I want to remain in school.

I heard that Merkelo hurt himself and has had to take some time off. Is this true? something about hyper-extending his chest?

Thanks
    Eric

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    did he do that while rock climbing?

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You can PM andredub for impressions about McGill. He's getting ready to graduate, I think.

ML