where to put the music!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Mar 4, 2011.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Ok i think i am getting better as most of the time when they are home the kids do not either run away outside or close as many doors as they can between me and them. ( or maybe i am getting quiter)
    Am now frustrated that to read sheet music the trumpet is just the wrong length for me to see the sheet with it at my mouth. very frustrating!!!
    have tried it at the side but that didnt work also tried with and without glasses still no good.
    any suggestions?:cool:
    This may sound silly to some of you but i have never played before and am a 52 year old begginer so be gentle with me.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have used the "inverted V" which involves looking under the horn to see the music. Elbows have to be out to the side, not tight into your chest. You may have to lower your stand for this to work.:thumbsup:

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I have played for years and have learned that for most of us who do wear glasses as we age we need to move to a pair of "music" glasses. The next time you go to the eye doctor take a sheet of music put it out where you need it and adjust things until you can easily read it. At that point you have the script for a pair of "music glasses".

4. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    I am glad it is not just me! In my 50's the progressive bifocals and music stand adjustment helped me. The light at the end of the tunnel came for me during last couple of years (I'm 62 now.). My eyes changed and now my focal point is equal to the length of the trumpet and distance to the music. Of course, I now have to remember to put my specs back on so I can see to walk away from my music stand.:-)
    Seriously the advice on getting the music glasses seems really good. I wish I had thought of it myself about 10 years ago.

5. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    I have found that brighter light helps a lot too.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... and laying the desk of the music stand a little flatter than "bolt upright" helps with this, and overcomes the problem of playing into the stand unnecessarily.

7. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    thanks guys tryed the looking dowm methos and had some success but the evening without natural light not so good, will investigate the music glasses idea with a friend who is an optician.
    thanks again :cool:

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I went to bi-focals quite a long time ago (40's) and when I found the mid-distance becoming a problem I tried progressive lenses; but couldn't tolerate them. So tri-focal lenses were the answer for me. I tried a special pair of mid-distance ("music") glasses, but they ended up being more trouble than they were worth. You would be amazed how much you actually do at the mid-distance--computer screens, automobile speedometers, etc.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm 51 and have glasses that I only use for playing the trumpet. They are adjusted for only the range where the stand is. I also have a full time stand light.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not to try and do your friend out some work, "Wal-mart" readers are cheap, stylish and fit the bill for me. The 1.00 is a good start. Cost is about $10!