where to put the music!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Mar 4, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The problem with 'readers' is that they magnify best in the middle of the lens. The focus deteriorates toward the edges whereas your reading glasses are correctly ground so that you can swivel your eyes without the image going blurry at the edges.

The readers have some advantages though - they are lightweight, cheap, good as standby, and I really enjoy the way all the little bits (the pads that sit on one's nose bridge) keep falling off - this then tends to change the focus and the readers keep slipping off my face. I keep a couple of pairs around - at work, in the trumpet case pocket, in the car, and beside the lounge but I much prefer proper prescription lenses.

I might think more closely about stand to eyeball focal length and go with special specs too.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Oldgit... Maybe someone else mentioned it and I missed it (my eyes are not what they used to be....) but I usually make enlarged copies. Works for me ... JA

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Not sure they have Walmart in the UK! That's where he's from, right? = )

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Oldgit, I generally wear progressive lenses and found them to be inconvenient for one aspect of my professional work, which is commercial retouching. So I had glasses made that focus at the distance of a computer screen. These glasses also work well for reading music.

However, I also wanted to be able to clearly see the conductor in our band, so I had a third pair of glasses made: bifocals. The lower lenses focus on the music and the uppers focus on distant objects.

I would say that my "computer" glasses are slightly better for reading music only, so if you don't need to see objects at a distance, that might be a better solution.

I tried the Wal-Mart glasses too, but I could not get as good a result with them as I could with the prescriptions from my optometrist. However, the price is right so they are worth looking at and maybe they will be fine for you.

5. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    I got tri-focals a few years back but find I see the music best with no glasses at all.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Take the sheet music to the copy shop and bump it up to 150%. As long as the music stand is big enough to handle larger paper, it can make you feel like a kid again.

Turtle

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Indeed, in training sessions from the earliest through college it was always the flat wire folding stand on which we placed our music and we played to the right of the stand. while seeing the music almost straight ahead, the director just over the top of the music. Then with a curved set up of chairs this was pretty good IMO, but when it comes to playing gigs or at home, I too prefer the flatter orchestra stand.

Then too, at home I've a floor lamp and ceiling lights augmenting my stand light. Too, looking at latest LED stand lights which if and when I'm able to resume playing I may purchase if I can collect enough pennies. At my age I've now the multi focal progressive lenses in my glasses and still can drive and could once upon a time fly (USAF and privately) without them, but I've been wearing glasses to read since the 4th grade. Hear I sit with my flat screen monitor a good 30+" inches from me, about the same as my music has always been.

8. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Try Tesco.