Where's the best place to get an education in trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pavel_Edmont, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Pavel_Edmont

Pavel_Edmont New Friend

Dec 11, 2009
    Russia/Moscow
    Hello!
    I welcome all of Russia *
    I want to get a response from professionals and experts & players:
    Where's the best place to get an education in trumpet playing? What college would you recommend in the USA? interested in obtaining fundamental education in perfomance combines good technique training not only in jazz study with a good theoretical basis and the classical courses & ensembles*

2. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Check out North Texas State University. Now the University of North Texas. It has one of the best Jazz Schools in the USA.

Also check out Peabody Institute John Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD. This is a School I recommend for the best all around Trumpet.

If you can afford it, check out Berlkee College of Music in Boston, MA. In my opinion, this this the Cream of the Crop. But, Please do not discount the others I have named.

Good luck to you my friend.

Good Luck and welcome to our Forum and welcome to the USA if you are lucky enoughl to get accepted to one of our Great Music Schools.

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    There are many good answers to your question. Do you want to be in a big city or a college town. What can you afford? College isn't cheap in the states. If you live in New York, Boston Chicago LA etc. there will be plenty of big name talent to listen to. The faculties will include members of major orchestras as well as 1st call studio and jazz musicians.

college towns: U of Illinois, U of Indiana, Oberlin, North Texas, etc.

good luck

PS You have quite a tradition in Russia: Dokshutzer, Nakariokov, and Valeri Pomorov in NYC.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    South---University of North Texas
    North---University of Illinois
    East----Berklee
    West-----USC

5. Pavel_Edmont

Pavel_Edmont New Friend

Dec 11, 2009
    Russia/Moscow
    Thank you gentlemens, I will try to describe the situation!
    I am interested in becoming a musician a wide range of styles and situations: Of course, I am interested not only play Be-Bop or Straight Ahead in small ensembles, and interesting work in large groups and orchestras, as well as the ability compose and arranged in different styles. It is also interesting to play classical music at the appropriate technique level. I am aware of the fact that education in the United States is not cheap! I do not bother me enough, the secured person that would choose the most suitable for me.
    I would not like to dwell only on the New York or Boston (Berklee College) rather some distance from NY would be preferable!
    one of these colleges Eastman school of music as interesting Julliard school *
    I would like to know the characteristics and where most of these colleges seriously taught technical and theoretical aspects of music. would be interesting to hear the opinion of these schools from their graduates
    What would you understand me very much what makes the music of Wynton Marsalis, * that is looking for a school where I can get the basic knowledge and skills in the technical and theoretical level, jazz and classics in an equal volume

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    They all have excellent music departments -- most colleges have excellent teachers, so one thing you have to keep in mind is that any college education is what the student makes of it, far less than what the teachers have to offer. After attending ITG convention in April and hearing Greg Wing and Roy Poper and David Baldwin, who all teach at colleges which never would make the list of best music schools (well, currently Poper is at Oberlin, so he *is* at a major music school, just not one that is normally associated with jazz studies) it simply reinforced that for me.

My son is getting an excellent trumpet education at the University of Rhode Island, with George Kent as the trumpet professor and Mark Birney as the jazz trumpet teacher and Joe Parillo as the teacher of the jazz combos and big bands.

But what I've observed in my son over the three years he's been in college is that it's what he does in the practice room, the 4 to 5 hours a day he's spending there, that's turning him into the great trumpet player he is becoming. It's his drive to become the best trumpet player he can be that is behind this.

So many schools, not just the ones mentioned, can give you an excellent education in what you're looking for.

A school like Berklee, excellent as it is for jazz, isn't nearly as strong in the classical department. Right down the street, the New England Conservatory is excellent in the classical areas but isn't very strong in the jazz department.

What I think you need is a university situation, not a music conservatory situation. So the best thing is to make a list of what you want in a college -- student body size (remember, the larger the student body the more competition there is for any given trumpet chair in any ensemble, so you're forced to work harder to be good enough to get that seat but on the other hand so is everybody else so you might not get as much experience at a large school as at a small school where you can be one of the best and get the golden playing opportunities), town size (rural small, medium city, major urban area), teachers on-staff (many schools have lots of adjunct faculty for instruments where they're not on staff full-time and so it's harder to get a conference with them if you have any issues outside of your lessons), course offerings, degree type (in the U.S. most performance degrees are either performance certificates or Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Music degrees), graduate placement level -- it doesn't matter how great the teacher is if none of his/her students ever find full-time employment on their instruments. Much employment is based on word-of-mouth recommendations, so find a teacher with connections who can get you into performing situations, if that's what you want.

And be careful about any publicity from any college -- they will all make their faculty sound like the best possible in their field with international reputations but often that just means that great-aunt Edna lives in a different country and got the teacher a gig on Christmas Eve at the local church.

It's a difficult thing to do from another country, but one of the best things you can do is to schedule a private lesson with the trumpet teacher(s) at whatever schools you narrow your search down to, and find the teacher that you think will be able to help you the most. The classroom stuff (music history, theory, harmony, jazz theory, keyboard skills) will be pretty much the same from school to school and you can always augment the classroom stuff with outside reading on your own. But the interaction between teacher and student is of the utmost importance -- the best teacher in the world won't help you if the two of you don't work well together.

Good luck -- most schools (at least in the U.S.) have web-sites so you can learn a lot without having to travel. Just remember that their web-sites often are programmed by graduate students who never actually have to use the web-sites so they can be very flashy and cute but difficult to navigate.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need to talk to Ed Carroll, one of our Artists in Residence. He is exactly that, the consummate player and is plugged into the education scene. Check his forum here.

8. gdong

gdong Piano User

Jun 7, 2008
    LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC

Ed IS the man.

I'm having a terrific experience at UCLA too.

9. Pavel_Edmont

Pavel_Edmont New Friend

Dec 11, 2009
    Russia/Moscow
    Thank you ladies and gentlemen! for your answers are very glad that I have the honor to receive them!
    In principle, I decided on the place of my education! I think Eastman School of Music is more appropriate for me in many ways.
    I would like to talk with alumni of this college to get an idea of the learning process and knowledge was given there/
    Continuing his theme of education would like to clarify the question of
    Jazz Education in New Orleans in particular programs (UNO Jazz Studies program & New Orleans Jazz Orchestra vs. Monk Institute of Jazz Performance *)
    as I wrote my goal of becoming a jazz trumpeter with serious classical-academic background * if and study jazz, why not do it in the place of his birth! especially since new-orlean jazz is a special interest as a kind of foundation upon which to overbuild other music.
    I would like to get opinions on these programs. and the universities themselves in particular!
    Thus, my concept of education will be based on the initial bachelor in New Orleans and completed in New York, possibly in the Eastman School or Julliard

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  10. tlc9988

tlc9988 New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    One of the best is University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
    Professor Robert Baca has an amazing studio. Robert J. Baca, Faculty, Music and Theatre Arts, UW-Eau Claire

Enjoy...

After reading your decision I want to share something that is very vital. Visit the teachers and students in the studio. See if they think like you do? Will they change you in some ways? Finding a community that supports and develops all to their best potential is the best environment to grow in. Finding a place that can help you grow inside as well as in trumpet is the most value.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010