Where's the cutoff for the "comeback" label? *Is* there a cutoff?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jamesq68, Nov 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jamesq68

jamesq68 New Friend

May 12, 2010
    Maryland
    If this has been covered already, I apologize in advance for covering old ground. I did a search for "comeback" but didn't have the strength to comb through 500+ threads...

At what point can a "comeback" player just start referring to him/herself as just a regular trumpet player? After a year of steady playing? Two years? I took about 15 years off and have been playing steadily for nearly a year now. I'm still not where I was at my peak, but I'm also nowhere nearly as weak as I was when I started back up. I feel fairly comfortable with the horn again, and have begun to consider myself a trumpet player again without the "comeback" qualifier.

I was just curious to hear what everyone thought.

Thanks.

--James

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    James, I think that once you've gotten yourself back to a place of playing proficiency where you can effectively play music and possibly gig - and that can be anything from community band to playing hymns and descants in church - you've given up the "comeback" label and can consider yourself just a trumpet player. That, or when you get to a place where you are no longer fighting the horn, that would be just as good of a marker.

I took 18 months off when I left the Army Band program, and I started playing again when I got a call to sub a 1-set big band gig. It was probably about 6 months before things got back to a point in my playing that I was ok with it, but I continued to gig all through that time. I only considered myself a comeback player for a short time, but then again, I had a full 20 years on the horn before that 18 month break, so I didn't lose as much as I would have with a much longer break.

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I'd say as soon as you are as good as you were before you quit playing. Don't think there's an actuall cut-off value or so...

What I'd like to know: How long does the break have to be to be a come-back player?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    DG, I considered myself a comeback player because when I stopped playing, I had initially thought that I hung it up for good and I wasn't going to play anymore. I was pretty burnt out at the time, probably due to the Army aspect of it. The last thing I played was for a friend's wedding, 3 days before I went on transitional leave before getting out of the Army band program after 10 years. I put the horn in the case after the wedding was played, and it didn't see the light of day again for 18 months.

As for my abilities, they were mostly in check within 6 months, although I was good enough to gig well within that time.

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Stop calling yourself a comeback player when you think you've finally arrived.:cool:

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I never thought I'd arrived even before I stopped playing.

I wonder if Bud Herseth, Doc Severinsen, Wynton Marsalis, Maurice Andre, etc ever thought they'd arrived or if they just kept after it like the rest of us do?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Comeback only applies if you quit - for a day, for a minute, for a decade.

You never arrive. You have to constantly invest to reap benefits. It is more like being a farmer. Plant the seeds early in fertile ground, take care that they get enough water and sunlight, keep the bugs out and patiently reap the benefits later. Even the manure can be recycled...............

8. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Do we ever arrive?, aren't we always learning.

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I quit on commencement day 1976 and didnt even touch the outside of the case for about 25 years. Then started playing in the church praise band about 10 years ago. Man was I rough that first year. Now Im better by a long stretch than I ever was and I still consider myself a comeback player. As long as there was a time off when you considered yourself through with music I think you qualify. IMHO. Best wishes.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A musician can't quit being a musician - it's an intrinsic part of who they are, even if they stop doing music, and stopping is not the same as quitting.