Where's the cutoff for the "comeback" label? *Is* there a cutoff?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jamesq68, Nov 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I would say that "comeback" is in the mind of the player. I might quit calling myself a comeback player when I have been back to playing as long as I was off. But, that would be 39 more years and at age 67 I doubt that I will be playing that long - or even live that long. But, I am having fun and playing in a band and nobody knows that I am a comeback player unless I tell them.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Is a comeback player the same as a recycled player? What happens if you comeback twice? Does that mean you're bicycled? Ooooh the questions .... my brain hurts. :dontknow:

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Where's the cutoff for the "comeback" label? *Is* there a cutoff?

I would think the cutoff is when we are most certainly dead!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think it matters. It's seems to be a term to delineate between a working pro and a hobbyist, so to speak. My initial layoff was June 1979. I started again March 2004. I play better now than I did before I was a "comeback" player. I just used the term for myself because everyone else did. It may carry with it a certain stigma, but I just let my playing do my speaking for me. Trickg makes a good point. I too didn't think I would play again. At that time, there were few outlets for pro's let alone high school kids so after school I quit. If you're playing for pay, you could probably lose the moniker, but then again, who really cares? :play:

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What's the definition of "working pro?" I don't make my living playing trumpet, but I certainly make a tidy sum annually playing on the side. But even there, there are some absolute hacks who have regular gigs and make money playing their instruments. At times I feel like I'm one of them! :-o

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can feed you and any dependents just playing you horn you're a working pro. If a large pizza can feed your family better, you aren't a working pro :lol:!