Where's the Nearest Trumpet-Friendly Music Store?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Dec 4, 2013.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I live in Ft. Worth, and the only 2 music stores in town that I'm aware of that carried brass instruments have both closed in the last few years. Their selection was usually between 2-5 trumpets at any given time, usually the same ones.

In the greater area, there are Guitar Center and Music & Arts. Meh.

Where's the nearest store that would have a really good selection of horns? Like where I could walk in with a mouthpiece and just play all day?

Google has not been my friend in this endeavor.

Do I need to just open one myself?

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Whoa....did my query result in naught from the full cornucopia of knowledge and wit on this forum? That has to be a first.

Let me clarify that anything within a couple hundred miles or so would be palatable. I found places in Minnesota as well as both the east and left coast, but that's not really feasible.

Let's see, I'm surrounded by LA, AR, OK, and NM. Anyone familiar with any good stores in those states? Speaking personally, 2 of those states can only be visited under conditions of extreme duress, but a really good music store would tip the balance enough to warrant a trip.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Some of us don't have one within a couple of thousand miles :roll:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO any music store less distant is mediocre. Seems to me that manufacturers are neglecting their marketing vis establishing reputable and knowledgeable dealerships.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Dear Seth,

Yesterday I drove home with the A/C blasting in 80 degree weather. Right now my car is well on it's way towards a complete coat of ice, so I needs must inquire....how's the weather in Nigeria?

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Humid and 30-32C (86-90F). Like every other day of the year. All that changes is the regular drenchings we get during the rains (april to october-ish)

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Same boat here. Nobody has a decent array of brass in this town either. I'd have to heads for Cleveland(Meh) or Columbus maybe to find one with some sort of selection:roll::dontknow::oops:

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I'm assuming you're a University of Texas fan, and one of the states you avoid is Oklahoma, but pull on your big boy pants and head north up I-35. Drive through Norman (go Sooners) and once you hit OKC you might want to check out Jenkins and Horn Traders of OKC (never visited them, but if you've already driven that far----). Anyway follow the signs to Tulsa, continue through Tulsa on I-44 until you get to the Broken Arrow Expressway and exit heading to Broken Arrow. Exit the BA at Mingo and continue south to 5433-B South Mingo (it's on your left) that will be Tulsa Band Instruments. They usually have a good selection of horns and are friendly people, check out their website. You can also check Saied Music and The Music Store while you're there. Not sure of what they'll have, but I make it a point of stopping at TBI whenever I'm in Tulsa. Good luck and hope you enjoy your search.

Additional Info. There used to be a good shop in Norman, but I haven't been there in years, but the Norman Music Center is located on West Gray and might be worth a look.

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    PLEASE!! Do not mistake me for a UT fan!

Texas Tech, sir.

Thanks a ton for the info. Those are actually doable, cuz I make it up to OK a few times a year.

I've got several very good friends northwest of OKC. They stoutly maintain that Texas is over-rated, and I stoutly maintain that their entire state sucks - almost as much as UT. Tis a most pleasant rivalry.

New Mexico is God's country. I wish we'd annex it.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I went once to the Brook Mays warehouse when I was 16yo and played every Bach 37 they had. 3 out of 20 were noticably better then the rest. Back then your teacher (if you had the right one) could vouch for you and you would get the Willie Wonka Golden Ticket treatment.