Which Arban is right for beginner, advanced etc?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Which Arban is right for: Beginner

Intermediate?

Advanced?

I'm asking because part of me just wants to get the "My First Arban" book for $7 or so, and part of me wants to get the big fat one, for $30 or so.

And no on-line stuff please.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is another Arban post where I gace a link where you can get an old out of print Arban as a FREE PDF.

Other than that, I use the big fat Carl Fisher version. It makes no sense to get the castrated version.

3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

That's why I lean towards getting the big fat, not "castrated" version. Um, "neutered" version?

Frankly I'll probably do that.

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I only use the the "My First Arban's" for beginning students and the big one after that. Just get the big one...bigger is always better, right? :D

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Well .... I'm kind of tempted to just get the "My first...." one, the guy who teaches who lives near me says to get that one too.

I can always get the big fat one later.

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Is the big one arranged in some graduated fashion? I know that I looked at the PDF that rowuk found, and I'm not up to that level yet, even for the first few exercises. I'm about 1/3 through Rubank Intermediate, for the second time in a month (I got this far then went back to the beginning) with playing a few exercises every practice session.

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Well, teh arbans book, is a mixed thing.

your not suppsoed to do it from front to back its has sections of differetn exercises.

They arnt that hard, but they can be seen as difficult.

Practice tehm slow and slowly increase speed.

8. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    I don't think the Arban was intended to be used by beginners - it's not arranged like a method book. Eric Bolvin has a manual on how to use the Arban (::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: ARBAN MANUAL) that I intend to use when I finally start it, but I don't see any advantage in racing into it immediately. Rubank's and A Tune a Day (Level 2!) and some duet books are enough to keep me happily occupied for quite a while yet. Once you start Arban, it's for the rest of your life. I'm busy putting off the commitment at the moment. I have to admit that it sounds a lot more impressive to say you're working on Arban's than on Rubank's, though.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Arban's was conceived for the new-fangled cornet, and was designed to introduce people that could play the natural trumpet to this new valved invention. It is interesting to compare the Arban's to the Dauvernè method (Arban's teacher).

The sequence I went through years and years ago was Hal Leonard, Arban-St. Jacome's, Arban....

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Get the full blown Arban's book. It has different sections that each address different aspects and techniques for playing (remember this was written way back when....) You don't have to go through the book chronologically. Start with the easier exercises and work up. ANY beginner can start with the Arban book....the early exercises are whole and half notes.

bigtiny