Which Arban is right for beginner, advanced etc?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 17, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arbans is a "conservatory method" and was intended to be dosed by the trumpet instructor. The exercizes are grouped by type, not by lesson plan. There is everything from the first few notes to the physically impossible.

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    I can't seem to find a copy of Dauverne's book lying around.... What struck you most about the difference between it and Arban's - a lot of emphasis on how to hit the valves?

3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

That's my impression. The "My First Arban" book (they have them for all kinds of brass) is just paying the $7 or $8 for a certain "dosing".

That kind of argues towards getting the big book, since I can look at something and tell if it's in my range, and from the description tell what it's supposed to teach me.

I dunno .... I'm sure to get one or the other next time I'm in town! :dontknow: :lol:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    :cool: The Dauvernè was written from a natural trumpeter's viewpoint. A fun link: François Dauverné

Have fun!

5. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Hand-stopping for trumpet! I knew somebody must have done it (I haven't had any luck with it, myself).

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I got the My First Arban book - they didn't have the thick one.