Which Arban to buy??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 28, 2015.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    People keep asserting that this edition is free because it's old. Do you honestly think that Carl Fisher has not renewed the copyright? For crap's sake, they're using the same plates in the modern editions!

The JW Pepper version floating around probably is out of copyright.

Me? I got mine from France. :-)

Tom

2. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    By the way, a trumpet professor who was giving me lessons was very interested in my French edition. It seems that the various American editions had dynamic markings (staccato, marcato, etc) added that are not in the older French editions.

I don't usually play out of the French edition, I got a 1915 copyright, probably from the early 30s, I got on eBay.

Tom

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I got the trilingual German Hofmeister edition, and had it hand-bound securely in real leather right from the beginning, with "ARBAN" and my name embossed in gold upon the front cover... has served me ever since I started on Arbans (which is now 25 years ago).

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Send them an email, if you think they're lying.

Mike

[​IMG]

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    "The" one... well that would be the original signed by the author!!

I had the Tan one on the '60-70s, and somewhere lost it, but now have the watermelon coloured one.
    Mine is unsigned too.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Mine is the 1982 edition. It works and has everything I need, but if I ever needed to replace it, I'd get one that:

1.) isn't in 6 different languages - for me, this is overkill since I only read and speak English.
    2.) is spiral bound. This book is 300-400 pages with a solid binding.

I'd prefer one that is thinner and spiral bound so that it can lay flat on a stand, and in the case of Manhasset stands, isn't in danger of causing the stand to retract under the weight of the book.

Otherwise, if it's an Arban's book and it's complete, it really doesn't matter - it's all going to be the same music.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Those of you with the (singular) French edition. Is that in one volume? Leduc used to (maybe still does) publish it in three volumes. Looked cool. Expensive as hell, though.

Ref the Tri-language version, I believe this is one that Claude Gordon said was mistranslated and abridged. He recommended against it. (As far as the text goes, that is. Not the exercises.)

8. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    My French copy is one volume, but that just means that only the Cornet Method is included, not the extra stuff that was eventually included in the later editions.

Tom

9. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I can assert that something is true all I want, doesn't make it so.

Also, the Carl Fisher edition they copied is much newer than 1857.

Tom

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Tom. I'm no expert on this. But I suspect that you hit on the reason. The 1857 version is likely public domain. Other editions may not be.

Back to the OP's question, I originally used an old Edwin Franko Goldman version, which eventually fell apart. I currently have the Platinum edition, with it's spiral binding. But I almost always work from the PDF version.

In addition, I also have a Music-Minus-One play-along of the Arban duets (recorded by one of my former teachers).

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Minus-One-Trumpet-Complete/dp/1596154241

Mike