Which Arban?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Aug 8, 2008.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got a PDF of the Arban that is in the public domain. I have also seen about a bajillion editions currently in print, including a HUGE one edited by Vizutti. Which one is best? Is the old scan adequate?

2. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I have the Boosey & Hawkes Complete Edition and i think it is as good as you can get it but i may be wrong.

ISMN M-060-01036-1

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    I have the complete conservatory method edited by Edwin Franko Goldman bought in 1969 when a student of the Wise one

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I think most of what changes from version to version is the stuff before the exercises, so its probably fine and doesn't matter which version...

misty.sj likes this.
  5. lushcot714

lushcot714 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    San Juan, PR
    I still have the Claude Gordon edition I bought in 1975. I used it thru college and my son used too thru musical school with out any concern from teachers. I believe the things that change are the stuff every virtuoso add to the basic core of the Trumpet Bible. I download the PDF version also and compare it to my trusted oldie and looks exactly like mine, but without the add ons.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The notes inside are essentially the same, so there is no disadvantage to one or the other system. The third party explanations are more necessary when you do not have a teacher. I think a good teacher is more important than the explanations!

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    The explanations are kind of fun to read though any way

I have what is called the "Authentic" edition, but that is probably advertising... It is exactly like every other arban's i've seen ever...

8. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I have the "special edition" with the silver cover. I would recommend this one only because it is spiral bound and lays flat on the music stand :D

9. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I wanted this one,but my mom get me the regular one... I mean I didnt care it was special I Just wanted somethign I could use. Now I got something that closes while im playing YAY ROFL

10. Nokon

Nokon New Friend

Aug 9, 2008
    Why not photocopy this monstrous book? It's a rather nice investment since you can carry around all those exercises when you go on a trip.

[Assuming that you work out of more than one book]