Which Arban's has the Carnival of Venice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rainiac, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    Does the original edition? And what colour is the actual book. I can only ever seem to find the red one on the internet...:dontknow:

2. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I have the "Red" edition (1982) "The Authentic Edition Arban's Complete Conservatory Method and the Platinum Edition (2005) with Piano Accompaniment CD. Both editions seem to have exactly the same content; The Carnival of Venice starts on page 339 in both.
    I believe there are some publications of just the 12 Fantasies and Aires including Carnival without the entire set of exercises.

3. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I think the red one has it. But don't buy a whole Arban's book just for that piece, if that's what you were planning on. I would just try to find the sheet music for it. Or you could try Carnival of Venus. :^) If you're up to it.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    The Red one

[​IMG]

has all Arban's famous solos at the end. It includes all some duets and folk songs that as far as I am informed were not in the original Arban's version. However Carl Fischer claims their methods to be original and not a reprint of any other publisher's copies

5. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    My wife gave me the Platinum Edition one Christmas. (Copyright 2005.) It includes all the original music, along with the text edited by Goldman and Smith and annotated by Gordon. It has Arban's original text (1885?) in French with English and German translations.

A pro is taking me through it weekly. I sort of hate it and it's a bitch, but I'm getting pretty good! It makes the Aebersold's that much more fun. -Ed

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    All of the Editions have the same version of Carnival of Venice. I have the 1936 Edition which I purchased new in 1955. It is pretty beat up and marked up from my adolescent angst at that time. I also have the 1982 Edition. I have compared the images of Carnival of Venice (and a lot of other pages) and the music pages are identical on the ones I checked. The biggest difference that I can see is that the commentary and instrument images have been updated and the 1982 Edition has the commentary in 6 languages instead of the original 3 which makes the book about 50% thicker and heavier than the earlier editions.

To complete the collection of cover images started by Trumpetnick, I have added the Original 1894 Cover and also the 1936 and 1982 Editions that I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Few more covers...:
    Edition with Vizutti's comments:
    [​IMG]
    Platinum Fisher Edition containing CD accompaniment of the solos at the end of the book
    [​IMG]

The Original edition...probably looked more like this:
    [​IMG]

I am afraid that some editions may not include metronome markings. Check before you buy.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have considered buying the Vizutti version. Are the differences/additions worth buying an additional copy? Also, the copies that I have seem like the music charts are all exact copies of the originals. How could an edition be missing the metronome markings? Did the completely re-set the print copy at some point and leave them off?

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I did not see that edition, but I would take Bob's word for true.