which C is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bob Grier, Dec 14, 2008.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Maybe they're all deaf from playing trumpet too much, and if you shout loudly enough they'll agree with you.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What happens if I play the picc? My high C is then doubled, or?

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    rowuk, very good question! Why don't we say this. A low C is the lowest open note you can play on a trumpet regardless of the key of the horn. Example "play a low C on your Bb", "play a low C on your picc". If we are talking about the notes on the trumpet, we can use trumpet notes. if we talk about concert pitch we can say " play me a concert middle C'. That would be the middle C on the piano. When I ask a student to play me a C scale, It's always the C scale on the trumpet. If I want them to play a concert C scale, I say "play me a concert C scale". When we are using terms like C4, C6 etc. we should be talking in concert pitch. Right!

See, I told you how confusing this is. We can't agree on which terms to use.

4. deebee

deebee New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Here are some "smilies" from another forum:

[​IMG]

Would it be possible for someone to make similar smilies available here?

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Lol, I like the nonclemature game!

6. deebee

deebee New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Is that the one that goes: Oh my darling, oh my darling ... ? :stars:

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    darn.... duck, duck, GOOSE! "Yeah, well, I got a trippa G AND my mom wears combat boots!"

When talking with trumpeters, I use low C (first ledger line below staff), middle C, high C, dubba, etc.

When talking with other musicians, I always use concert or C4 "piano" terminology.

8. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    As someone previously mentioned some people will disagree and the only problem with the insistence that "doubles" start at double high C is that almost the whole trumpet world has called a G or A above high C with the word double in front of it for years. Right or wrong, that has been a wide spread practice and even to this day, I will hear lot's of world class top players call an A above high C a double A, and so on...

In the end, communicating the right idea however you say it is what everyone is after.

I generally hear most guys say hi F, hi G, then start using the word double at A and so on vs a debate or explanation of what they meant each time they speak.

That is pretty much the overwhelming perception and verbiage used and has been for years.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    bear and Rich Wetzel Thank you. My point exactly. Rich the reason they use those terms is because, they are right.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If low A is below the staff and middle A is in the the staff and high A is above the staff then what do you call an A above high C? I always called it a double A because once we play our low ,middle and high F#s Gs and on up is when we enter our double register, If I`m asked to play a high Bb I play the one above the staff not the one an octave higher ,that would be a double high Bb , we have our low ,middle, high , then our double highs.