Which Do You Prefer? 13 or 2

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 11, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Okay now that i got a new strad i have been playing around with range and all because it doesnt tighten as much as the aristocrat making it a great high range trumpet. For the A above the staff which fingering should i use? I never played 3 for 12 but yesterday i tried it and i found the note came out cleaner. Is there a difference between the two? Also what do you prefer, 12 or 3? Does it depend on which note your playing, the piece or is it just your personal preference?

btw i just realized my retarded mistake in the thread title..
    its supposed to read this:

WHICH DO YOU PREFER? 12 OR 3
    whoops

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I use 1 & 2, but sometimes I have to give it some first slide to bring it into tune.

3. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    The amount of tubing with 1 & 2 pressed down is about the same as 3, but most notes are more in tune with 1 & 2. Three would be mainly used when playing really fast, playing in the higher range (sometimes), and for trills. Many professional players actually almost always use 3.

So it mainly comes down to personal preference!

4. Aerotrom

Aerotrom New Friend

Jul 17, 2008
    Spain
    My experience tells me that the less you use the third finger the better (concerning to staying in tune). However, sometimes it's much easier to "hit the note" ussing it, like in some big intervals. Anyway, I think it's more personal matter, and it depends on how you feel better (never forgeting fact of being in tune)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    3 is almost ALWAYS lower in pitch than 1+2, and almost ALWAYS too low. Lipping up is easy enough, but costs more endurance and doesn't sound as good. Pros that use 3 instead of 1+2 have out of tune instruments and have little choice except to buy a new instrument. If they have a Bach C trumpet, they may have to switch brands to find one that is really in tune. Using 3 instead of 1+2 is cheaper in that case.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've never used 3 except for trills. it's too flat. Always 1 & 2. If it's sharp use a little 1st slide kicker. Of course if you get the bell bow rounded out and a percision valve alignment, it won't be sharp.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    okay so i should try not to use the 3rd valve or does it not matter so much up high as to which fingering you use?

8. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Every horn has it's own little quirks. Maybe your A with a 3 is just cleaner because of your particular horn.
    Francis

9. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    If I had a first valve trigger like you do on that Sweet Strad, I'd play 1,2.

10. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    How's that First valve trigger working out for you?