Which Do You Prefer? 13 or 2

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 11, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    pretty good actually. I am still trying to get used to it being there for my use. I've been using the third valve slide to tune 13 and 123 for three years, so trying to break that habit and use the first valve trigger because its easier and actually there. But it definitely is very handy.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Sometimes I feel the need to use both to zero in on low C#.

First slide alone is good to use for A in the middle and middle C#.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Some horns I own play the high A better in tune with 3. I recently played a brass band piece with a sustained, muted E, with no time to adjust tuning after inserting the mute. 3rd valve worked great for that, bringing it down without lipping. Here's an interesting chart, but of course, it's generalized. Many trumpets/players may have different tendencies.

TRUMPETER'S FANFARE --Fingering Chart and Tuning Tendencies

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Dale,
    thanks for that website, i printed the chart out and put it in my band folder. Should clear up my playing more fixing the slight off tune things, especially on my third space C#

5. MomentuM

MomentuM New Friend

Aug 21, 2008
    Texas
    I play 3 generally (assuming you're talking about the A a line above the staff), but that's just my personal preference. It was recommended to me by a friend's father who plays in an orchestra. I tried it out and it seemed more natural.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    i have tried both the A with the third valve and the 12 combo, but in this one piece we are playing, Russian Sailor Dance, we have to go from A above the staff to Gsharp to A above the staff in a sixteenth note slur, then rest for a sixteenth of a beat, and go from a Gsharp to a Fsharp, i just found in general the A with the 3 valve is easier, im not too concerned with tone as a sixteenth note at prestisimo isnt really noticable unless your sitting with your ear next to the bell of my trumpet, which would be odd o_O

7. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    one day in band the trumpet had a unison high A and it was all out of tune so he asked us if anyone had strands [which no one did] but that on strads the the 12 on the high at is a little out of tune....it ended up being a kids student trumept ...same thinkg the 12 now he plays 3 and its better

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    actually by ear the 12 A on my strad happens to be pretty in tune, if necessary i hit the trigger a little bit, but it slots very well, to the point where my band director (not a big fan of bach) likes the trumpet a lot. But at this point i dont think i have a choice in that song, my fingers dont move that fast by the end of the day, lol

9. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    yeah i can see how that would mess up your fingerings [bach strads are good just i think a lot of people dont like them because everyone has them]

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Yea, i personally didnt pick my trumpet my director did, he told me id love it and that it plays like no bach he's ever played, and he was dead on correct. It plays amazing and slots near perfect. Three others have strads, one got lucky scored hers for 500 and that was the price relaquered, the other two boys' strads i heard were eh. Our section god as a artist model xeno i heard plays nicely, but currently my director favors the strad i have.
    But yeah i think thats probably a large reason why most people dont like them plus they arent consistent you either get lucky or you dont, however i heard the new ones are pretty spectacular, as for now its time to start saving up for paris/london then next trumpet can be thought about(hopefully flugel).