Which exercises do I need (Arban)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Hello

I bought the Arban Complete Conservatory book (last edition) and I don't really know which exercises I need.
    I play the trumpet about 6 months now, my range is from A below the staff to E within the staff (F is also ok, but I don't "own" it yet)

I'm looking for some exercises for my articulation and intervals in particular (other exercises are also ok).

Thanks in advance :-)
    Regards

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    page 125 for intervals
    pages 28-32 for basic single tongue articulation

practice things SLOWLY and with a metronome. speed will come. if a quarter note has to be 30bpm then that is OK.

Listen to Mendez do them: ARBANS SINGLE TONGUE EXERCISE #19-20 - YouTube
    If you dont have the range skip the higer licks and go on in time. As you get stronger they will come too.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Beginners to Arbans:

As you move through the exercises in the Arban's book, you'll notice little snippets in italics at the bottom of some pages. These are called 'models' and they are templates for practicing the same exercise with a different
    set of articulations. So, you'll see and exercise that takes up a page, articulated one way, and you'll see the models at the bottom and notice that each model is a repeat of the exercise with different articulation.

Don't ignore the models!

bigtiny

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You would be well served starting at the very beginning of the book. The first exercises are for guys like you and while it looks like they're very easy, bah, skip them... they're not! They will kick your butt for sure.

Tom

5. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I don't have problems with the first exercises (only on the second page the G above the staff is hard, but I don't want to force building my range).

Thanks for the replies guys!

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Eric Bolvin - The Arban Manual - a 69 lesson course that takes you through the entire Arban method.

The Arban Manual - Bolvin Music Studios

Mr. Bolvin studied with Claude Gordon

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you want your comeback to come more quickly and possibly with less stress get a good private teacher.

8. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I'm not a comebacker, and I have a private teacher ;)

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Another vote for Eric Bolvin's Arban Manual. However - what's the use of your private teacher? Why are you circumventing him/her?

10. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Well I don't have lessons for 2 weeks :)-() and the last time I forgot to take my arban book with me ;)
    (I just own the book for a week or so)