Which is the easiest Arbans characteristic study?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter_1, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    Hi!

I was wondering about Arbans characteristic studies and their difficulties. I think each one focuses on different things, so what do you think?

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    My personal take -- this is opinion:
    The studies are all challenging in their own ways. I don't think there IS an EASIEST one, at least not in absolute. Everyone has their strengths, and certain studies may play to your strengths more than others. I'm curious why you want to know which is easiest -- it is my belief that all parts of trumpet playing are of roughly equal importance.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Start with the first, then work your way through. Then you can tell us which the easiest is.

4. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    I want to start playing one of them, but i'm not sure if I'm ready, so I want to know which one is the easiest and see if I'm ready. What level should a trumpeter have to start playing Arbans Characteristic Studies?

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    To be honest, I don't know for certain. That would be at the discretion of teacher or player.

As a teacher of younger students, I would wait until I see they are using their air properly, have an efficient embouchure, and a decent sound. I have heard that the Characteristic studies were designed to help a player create a characteristic sound. This, in my mind, would be best started once everything is working correctly.

But that is me. I suggest you find a higher level teacher in the area, and seek their counsel.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Usually I start with page one and follow directions. Once I've accomplished that task, I proceed to the next phase of study. When my teacher would instruct me to do additional studies, then I would proceed.
    Best Wishes.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    thirteen....

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Look through them. They all have their challenges (and they're all different), so pick one that seems the best suited for you (you could even do this by reading them and not playing) and work on it

All of them require endurance, control, articulation, and good air control to play properly so good luck

9. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    So if I start playing the characteristic studies I should start with the first one, shouldn't I? Did all of you started playing the first one?

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    start on page 13, work up to 125.... then throw in Clarke technical etudes and Concone, THEN start at #1 of the characteristics.