Which Monette Bb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GordonH, May 24, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    This is a bit of spill over from the "money to burn" thread in the horns section.

Which Monette Bb would you think most suitable for orchestral playing?
    I find it hard to interpret the catalogue as most refer to jazz usage.
    Do you think an STC-1 would be the best option?
    The problem I have with conventional instruments is the projection in large venues with poor accoustics (medieval cathedrals being a particularly difficult setting).
    I like a sound with lots of core but I like to be able to get some brightness without having to over blow (which was the problem I had with my old Taylor trumpet).

Any thoughts?

(edit: I see there is no STC1 Bb so scrub that!)

2. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Gordon, they still will build the 149XL Bb which is the STC-1 equivalent.

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    That is interesting.
    I am not too keen on a very heavy instruments so looking at the lighterweight or medium weight end without wanting to sacrifice the tone of the instrument.
    It is difficult to interpret the model numbers and what the instruments actually sound like.

I do upper body training but in spite of this my old Taylor Chicago custom used to give me bad shoulder pains.
    I think I play the trumpet more than most amateur musicians as I have my Bb in the office with a music stand and break the day up with a bit of playing now and again: its cheaper than therapy, and is one of the few advantages of being the CEO.

Anyway.... looking at the descripton of the 993 it sounds like it would fit the bill, but then you look at the description of the 994-WJ
    "...similar in weight to our very popular 993 Bb, but is designed specifically for small group jazz and lead trumpet playing".
    so if its based on the 993, does that make the 993 a rather bright horn?

I need to take a week off and go to the shop.
    Hell, I need to take a week off in general, only had 3 weeks off in the past three years.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I love Wynton's horn, the 993 Prana. Its sound is very versatile and it will be my next Bb as much as I love my old 937. The 933 Prana is very easy blowing and has a sound that will project for days.

ML

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Thanks Manny
    I just found an email from Tom Raney in my inbox where he makes the same suggestions plus the Prana version of the 993.

WIth the poor state of the US dollar buying these instruments is still expensive but not as expensive as it used to be. Its is three year old small car territiry now, when it used to be the price of a new small car.

6. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    They do make an STC-1 Bb. I almost bought one to match my STC-1 C. But, they haven't made very many of them. I ended up buying a 2000LT because i use the Bb primarily in the studio (small room), in quintet and on commercial gigs, not in the orchestra. Its a perfect horn those kinds of settings. Easy to pick up and play. I'm a big fan of the STC-1 C. I wish I could afford a Prana version of it.

MA

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am very confused:

I have a 993 B flat and a Prana 1 C trumpet.

I love the sound on the 993. That is the sound I have always dreamed of having. On the C trumpet the sound is a lot brighter. I can control the sound on the B flat and brighten it up if I need to but I can't change the C trumpet.

Maybe the C trumpet is playing the way it should?

Recently I played a concert that was recorded. I remember playing and I was really relaxed. There wasn't anything that I can remember pushing on.

When I heard the recording I could not believe how the trumpet came through. The mikes were in the back row of the balcony and I was playing the C trumpet.

Manny,

I need to meet you at the factory for a lesson!