Which mp for long tones?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Sep 13, 2011.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I typically do my long tone exercises with my "standard" mp (Flip Oakes 3-O, similar to a Bach 3C). I have a gig coming up that will require a lead piece and I got to wondering about this.

Is there any benefit to doing long tones with one mp over the other? Or is it more beneficial to rotate through the pieces that you use regularly?

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Im no expert, but I do my long tones with my everyday mouthpiece, but Im not a pro.....I play at home, at church, and with my weekend band,so someone else may have the "expert" edge.......

3. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    If you're going to use a mouthpiece in anger, you need to be familiar with it. This means playing it. In an ideal world, you would play your fundamentals on your "standard" mouthpiece and on your "lead" mouthpiece. At the very least, long tones on both will ensure that you're starting to get familiar with the "lead" piece.

4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    it doesn't matter

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What does this mean? What's the context?

6. CNYTrumpet

CNYTrumpet Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2008
    I agree that it really boils down to personal preference. Ask yourself how often do you use the lead mouthpiece and how different is it from your regular mp? I'd say warm up on your regular mp and then at some point in the warm up switch and play some of your warm up on the lead mp.

7. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
  8. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    If I know I am going to use a particular piece for an upcoming, I will practice with that piece for a couple of days before the gig. I'm with BrassEye, I don't like to show up on a gig with a potentially awkward feeling mp.

That said, I do 90% of my practicing on my deepest piece, and really only pull put my lead piece the day before a lead gig.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    "I have a gig coming up that will require a lead piece and I got to wondering about this."

My answer is that this attitude is exactly what other trumpet players looking for work want you to do!

No gig "REQUIRES" a lead piece. I would even argue that there is no such thing as a lead piece - only mouthpieces that lead players use. Changing mouthpieces only makes sense when it is part of a daily routine - that we have been doing for a long time.

Playing lead requires a lead style and groove that works with any mouthpiece. If we are looking for a particular sound, we often do not need to move very far away from our standard hardware! If we have a solid daily routine, we do not need to change anything before any gig.

10. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Rowuk, i really only use the term "lead piece" because it's more shallow than my usual piece. I believe that's the only difference. I use it for lead or anything else where I need a brighter sound, that's all. Since 90% of my work is in a church praise band I typically don't need anything beyond a C cup, so I don't play on my "lead piece" often.

A more accurate statement would have been, "I have a gig that requires a bright sizzling sound and I'll be using a more shallow mouthpiece than I normally play at my regular gig."

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011